Olds/Chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

87CutlassS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 8, 2006
Correctionville, Iowa
The SBC is so overrated. By putting one in an Olds or anything non Chevy is just wrong. Price shouldn't be a factor because it doesn't cost much more to make a SBO perform. The Olds Performer intake is not $500+ either.

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
well i got my motor in ( olds 350 rocket) got it all hooked up... where i have a longtailshaft 350 i have to get a driveshaft made... oh well

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1fast87olds said:
well i got my motor in ( olds 350 rocket) got it all hooked up... where i have a longtailshaft 350 i have to get a driveshaft made... oh well

what year is the motor?..in 1970 they had a gold block 350 rocket that cranked out 310 hp right from the factory

87CutlassS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 8, 2006
Correctionville, Iowa
1fast87olds said:

This swap is what I did with my 87 Cutlass. 350 OLDS bored .030". It was an easy swap. Currently building a OLDS 455. 8)

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
i ran the numbers an it says its 68-70 olds 350, yea it was a easy swap i cant wait to try it out

Alanco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2006
Kingston, Nevada
88suprmclassic said:
Don't want to make any of you purists sick,but, I am considering putting a SBC in place of the 307 Olds with emphysema. I know some of you feel it to be sacreligeous.Cannot find any information on what exactly is involved. Wish the car was canadian built with the 305 chev. None of the 88's probably came from there. Would like to talk with someone who has done it and what specific roadblocks I will come across during the process. Aside from the obvious motor mount, crossmember, drive shaft length, and power steering issues I know exist. I need specifics. Or enlighten me on whether or not the cost/h.p. benefit leaves me better off going with a 350/403 Olds. I wan't it to MOVE. Always loved the G bodies
The 88 Cutlass came my way after inquiring about it two years ago and I got it two years later for a whopping $1000. It only had 400 more miles on it then when I tried to originally buy it in 03'. Could not pass it up. But the Olds motor issue bothers me. Would of rather had the Grand Prix or Monte (Non SS). But I will be happy with the Olds when I am done!

There is really no conversion to do. Just the Chevy Mounts, and wiring for the starter on the passenger side, and a transmission with a chevy pattern. There is no crossmember change, nothing else. I would not have an Olds engine in my Olds, there are no good ones IMHO. The SBC is such a generic engine, and so cheap to build, for virtually any make of car it is pretty stupid to use anything else. In our GM cars, we are particularly gifted to have the SBC bolt right in.

Regards,

Alanco

80 Olds Cutlass with 350 FI SBC, 200-4R, headers, etc.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Re:

pontiacgp said:
1fast87olds said:

what year is the motor?..in 1970 they had a gold block 350 rocket that cranked out 310 hp right from the factory
Only if it was a 4bbl H/C motor, otherwise it would be the 265hp, 355ft/lbs L/C motor originally with a 2 bbl carb. I know cause I got one and was wrong about it too.... :D

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Re:

mrapii said:
A Chevy SB into your Olds is one of the easiest swaps you could ever make.

Not really since you have to change nothing to swap an Olds with another Olds.

80_cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Alanco said:
88suprmclassic said:
The SBC is such a generic engine, and so cheap to build, for virtually any make of car it is pretty stupid to use anything else. In our GM cars, we are particularly gifted to have the SBC bolt right in.

I must be completely stupid, then.

And anyone that builds any other make except chevy is also completely stupid.

Just remember that and you will go far.

sb

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Alanco, why even buy an Olds then? Yanno what is easier than putting a SBC into a Cutlass? Buying a Monte Carlo that already has one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor