Olds diesel wont stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I worked at a Cadillac dealer at the end of GM's diesel experiment. They would always go to the same guys who had been working on them for years. They seemed to always take off the line at the intake and pump out a load of fuel into a clear jar. Apparently water in gas was always an issue for some reason. No matter how good the fuel looked at the filter etc, they would get water at the top of the jar when they pumped a good amount out.

Worse comes to worse you could hunt down a 425 crank and some other parts and...............

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
a bad starter on these cars will cause the battery inside to fail. The starter must be rebuilt with a heavy duty solenoid. The contacts within the solenoid must be round and not flat as they will surely stick together if they are the flat type contacts. I learned this as my car would keep cranking even with the key off. It is not a 24 volt starter either. But that's partially why it must must must have that heavy duty solenoid. If you purchase a starter from the advance or autozone it will surely not be the right one. As it will not have the heavy duty solenoid on top of the starter. Inside the battery are panels when it over heats from excessive cranking they fall over and touch. Hence the sparks. You will definitely need new batteries. The injector pump must have a lubricity additive to the fuel. The diesel fuel now a days lacks that. It is a stanadyne diesel pump so just go down to the tractor supply and buy the stanadyne fuel additive for diesel engines. This is a must. If you remove the pump pay close attention to the fuel injector lines as they are a certain length for a reason. The length has to due with the timing of the vehicle and must be kept the same length. Strange I KNOW BUT TRUE.

Reactions: 1 user

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
I was thinking. You still have the mechanical fuel pump on the engine right. As you were going to add a lift pump. Mine just has mechanical pump on side of engine. There is another thing to check for located near the injector pump is a connector used to kill the engine should it fail to shut off by ignition switch. You just pull the connector and the car shuts off. Check to make sure this connector is not unplugged by previous owner. Its also the connector you can unplug to bleed the lines so the car will not crank as you turn it over. So if you have fuel coming out at the injectors while bleeding it could be that connector. Could also have failed glow plugs or a bad Glow plug controller which sits in the top of the engine block. check the glow plug with a test light. Even though its a 100 degrees in texas it still needs the glow plugs to crank. I really hope I have helped as I have learned a lot about my car and that 5.7L diesel engine.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
nope, anything containing silicone or teflon etc just isn't made to burn

We "burn" teflon at work to make HF gas. One of the nastiest of all gasses... just add water and you get Hydrofluoric Acid, which will etch glass and dissolve human bones.

HF does a nice job of removing oxides from cracked nickel base superalloys, just avoid human contact during processing.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
We "burn" teflon at work to make HF gas. One of the nastiest of all gasses... just add water and you get Hydrofluoric Acid, which will etch glass and dissolve human bones.

HF does a nice job of removing oxides from cracked nickel base superalloys, just avoid human contact during processing.
WTF do you do for a living?!?!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

He must be in the buisness of taking care of unwanted people & makes the stuff to etch VIN's on your glass. :D

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

I develop repairs for commercial airliner and military aircraft turbine engine hot section airfoils, mostly made from Single crystal superalloys.

When I was in high school in the 1980's a guy from NASA came to our school and showed us a single crystal blade from the space Shuttle main engines turbopumps...Each 1" blade , he said, "made 100 HP" or something like that.. it might have been 1,000 HP/ blade. The Single crystal parts in today's airliners are 50X larger and 100X more complex than those first SX parts... and we don't "throw them away" like NASA did, we actually fix them.

Last edited:

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I was thinking. You still have the mechanical fuel pump on the engine right. As you were going to add a lift pump. Mine just has mechanical pump on side of engine. There is another thing to check for located near the injector pump is a connector used to kill the engine should it fail to shut off by ignition switch. You just pull the connector and the car shuts off. Check to make sure this connector is not unplugged by previous owner. Its also the connector you can unplug to bleed the lines so the car will not crank as you turn it over. So if you have fuel coming out at the injectors while bleeding it could be that connector. Could also have failed glow plugs or a bad Glow plug controller which sits in the top of the engine block. check the glow plug with a test light. Even though its a 100 degrees in texas it still needs the glow plugs to crank. I really hope I have helped as I have learned a lot about my car and that 5.7L diesel engine.

I will check this, that's a new one I didn't know about. I know it has air in it so this might help out a lot while im bleeding the air out of the system and if it doesn't fire after that ill look into that connector. The glow plugs seem to work, at some point in time someone ran them to a switch. I think I found the source of my ground issue and I believe it was the starter. I pulled the starter (even though it checked good at auto zone) and hooked the main power wires together that normally go on the starter and attempted to connect the ground wire to the battery which would normally cause a huge burst of sparks and melt the battery terminal and nothing happened this time. I turned the headlights on, cycled the glow plugs, anything that would put a load on it and no sparks so I believe the starter had a spot in it that would short to ground on the engine and cause the fireworks show

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor