Olds diesel wont stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
5.7 DX is perfect for a 440 stroker... jus sayin.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Here are some pictures of finally getting that engine out

Attachments

• cutlass 1.jpg
    cutlass 1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 212
  • cutlass 2.jpg
    cutlass 2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 204
  • cutlass 3.jpg
    cutlass 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 198

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
April of 2018! Hard to believe i haven't updated this since then. So since this last post the diesel went on a stand and got torn down. Bearings had some wear but overall everything looked good except for what seemed to have been a dropped valve hammered one of the pistons at one time. So sadly it sat in the corner of the shop for several years while i built my trans am and worked more on my 1987 cutlass than anything. Now that ive stepped away from that for a while so i can locate a good set of manifolds i decided this old engine needed attention. So glad to say its back from the machine shop with a fresh .040 overbore to clean up the cylinder walls, nice new pistons, and fresh bearings. I have some things to get out of the way to start its build up but very nice to have this one all cleaned up!

Piston damage:
piston.jpg

Nice clean engine:
350dx.jpg
350dx#2.jpg
350dx#3.jpg
350dx#4.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
April of 2018! Hard to believe i haven't updated this since then. So since this last post the diesel went on a stand and got torn down. Bearings had some wear but overall everything looked good except for what seemed to have been a dropped valve hammered one of the pistons at one time. So sadly it sat in the corner of the shop for several years while i built my trans am and worked more on my 1987 cutlass than anything. Now that ive stepped away from that for a while so i can locate a good set of manifolds i decided this old engine needed attention. So glad to say its back from the machine shop with a fresh .040 overbore to clean up the cylinder walls, nice new pistons, and fresh bearings. I have some things to get out of the way to start its build up but very nice to have this one all cleaned up!

Piston damage:
View attachment 167576

Nice clean engine:
View attachment 167580 View attachment 167579 View attachment 167578 View attachment 167577
I had no idea you could even get replacement/overbore pistons for those things.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor