Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I can't get 14 degrees of timing on top of my 14ish pounds of boost on 91 octane fuel, It knocks hard. I have two bent gen3 rods and a broken piston for my feeble attempts. 8-10 degrees is all I dare with the swill we get passed off as fuel around here.

I've got 20 degrees in mine, but only 5 psi at the moment. E98 helps :LOL:

• Useful
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Good thing I just started a business - now I can charge for my tuna smertz.

• Haha

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Don't think I've ever seen a big con rod with a pressed pin. I've had a couple 04 engines that have big rods. One 5.3 and a 6.0 in the garage currently. Big valley pan bolt heads (13mm) plus big exhaust manifold bolt heads has been the easy way to find them for me.

Reactions: 3 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Quick update.

Dropped the fuel tank today, got back into the second pump install. Tank drop was minor, set the fuel prime to 1 min and she didnt take long to pump out the 14gal of fuel in the tank.
View attachment 147613

The Racetronix pump wiring bulkhead is an awesome piece. If you want a heavier gauge, high quality wiring solution that is made for regal tanks, this is it. Huge win. The dual pump base plate worked well, needed some tweaking but is not a bad piece. I wouldnt use it again, I would make my own, but lesson learned. View attachment 147620

So popped out the wiring harness, and stripped off the return line as a tab for the stock pump was in the way.
View attachment 147614
View attachment 147617

Got the tab removed and sized up the bottom plate.
View attachment 147615

The wiring harness bulkhead needed to be pressed on, I used a socket and C clamp. Was pretty easy. Unfortunately no pics. But here is the almost final product.

View attachment 147616

I eventually rounded out the holes in the bottom plate to get the pumps closer together. Wired up the pumps to the harness and went to install.

View attachment 147618

It was at this time I discovered that it was not going in the tank with the fuel level sender on the hanger.

So this happened.

View attachment 147623

I'll have to revisit this later. For now a custom math channel to get the holley to calculate fuel burned. Yay Holley EFI.

Fired the tank back in, tested and I had to back off my regulator almost all the way to maintain my 43psi fuel pressure. Hell ya!

Next is the ethanol sensor.

What pumps are you running? Wondering if i could notch the hole just a little bit if the fuel float could work.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
What pumps are you running? Wondering if i could notch the hole just a little bit if the fuel float could work.
Twin 340 AEM pumps. If you put a different sending unit on the hanger or moved the sensing unit that comes with it you would be good.

The spectra premium hanger sending unit sticks out too much and thats what hung up.
20200915_074104.jpg

20200915_074142.jpg

If you cut off the sender and tacked it back on at a slightly different angle it would work. I am going to sump and run a single in tank with a 4303 external on a new stock tank. Because fuel gauges are important.

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Twin 340 AEM pumps. If you put a different sending unit on the hanger or moved the sensing unit that comes with it you would be good.

The spectra premium hanger sending unit sticks out too much and thats what hung up.
View attachment 157245

View attachment 157246

If you cut off the sender and tacked it back on at a slightly different angle it would work. I am going to sump and run a single in tank with a 4303 external on a new stock tank. Because fuel gauges are important.

Im trying to avoid a sump as much as possible because i hate the loud whining sound lol and fuel lines out the back. Ive been doing alot of research trying to figure out how to fit enough pump to hold 900ish rwhp on E85. Not very successful so far.

Ive seen some people use the ricks tank and billet hat but those are big money, and at that point is it worth the look or worth the money!

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Don't think I've ever seen a big con rod with a pressed pin. I've had a couple 04 engines that have big rods. One 5.3 and a 6.0 in the garage currently. Big valley pan bolt heads (13mm) plus big exhaust manifold bolt heads has been the easy way to find them for me.

I had a parts 5.3 that had pressed pin big rod. I think it was late 03-early 04 production. I've always considered that a Gen 3.5.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor