Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Summit branded components are usually top notch. I'm wondering who makes the rods and pistons for them. CP, Mahle, etc ?

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Summit branded components are usually top notch. I'm wondering who makes the rods and pistons for them. CP, Mahle, etc ?
Rumor is Wiseco and Callies. If I recall correctly.

I think they buy forgings and ran a custom program for the machine work to optimize ghe process for the cost savings, I did a fair amount of research and they get positive reviews.

I even opted for the bigger tool steel wrist pins.
20201001_064250.jpg

They advertise this setup as good for 1200hp.

Now that I quit my job and can focus on this until I get a call from my next job, I should be able to knock a ton of this out in the next 2 weeks.

I'll post an update tomorrow on the full direction and lay out the plan. I think I have it all figured out now.

Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Now that I quit my job and can focus on this until I get a call from my next job, I should be able to knock a ton of this out in the next 2 weeks.

I think I have it all figured out now.

I have to mention that ^^^^made me take a second look - more to you brother - quit your job to work on your car - I knew I liked you :) :)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I have to mention that ^^^^made me take a second look - more to you brother - quit your job to work on your car - I knew I liked you :) :)
I got lucky I could take this opportunity, I had enough of the previous work place nonsense and I'll be gone until Christmas overseas with the new job so its half car time, half spend with my girl and the family.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Do you need to balance the rotating assembly with that?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

he just went past the junkyard LS build, so the answer is a resounding YES ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Unless he bought a completely balanced rotating assembly. I also hope you are going to install front down bars on that cage.
he just went past the junkyard LS build, so the answer is a resounding YES ;)

I'm doing some verifying. Weighing out the rotating assembly. If I pull the old stuff out and it's close enough I'm gonna send it. Lol

20201001_153341.jpg
20201001_153411.jpg

So far the QC on these pistons and rods is really good! Mic'd within 0.0005" and weights are super consistent. With the entire rod, pin and piston I am withing 0.5g on all 8.

I'll make the decision when I measure the factory stuff, but if Bob weights are close enough there isn't a need to balance. Its actually been done quite a bit with these assemblies from what I've read. The reciprocating mass just needs to be the same weight.

And no, just have the 10 point cage, no front down bars yet.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor