Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
$1200 for good rods and pistons isn't bad, the thing that scares me is having my engine at the mercy of the machine shop to get black magic balanced. Being able to pull the heads and pan in the car and just trade them out is a big win.

Looking to see how it works out for you!

I know a lot of people stick gen 4 stuff in a gen 3 block without balance and don't have an issue. Curious how close these are

$1200 for good rods and pistons isn't bad, the thing that scares me is having my engine at the mercy of the machine shop to get black magic balanced. Being able to pull the heads and pan in the car and just trade them out is a big win.

Looking to see how it works out for you!

I know a lot of people stick gen 4 stuff in a gen 3 block without balance and don't have an issue. Curious how close these are
I'll post all the weights. I've read quite a few people have done this and haven't had problems.

I have the whole rotating assembly from a gen4 in a gen3 block. Only difference between the two blocks is a head bolt length change that I could see. I was nervous about just swapping the rods and pistons to the gen3 crank and not balancing it so I went the safer route.

Last edited:
And the science says I bought a balanced set for my crank....

Scale is lab grade and good for 0.01g.

Its set in grains (reloading use). But bottom right on the scale is grams.

These are the gen 3 rods and pistons from the spun bearing motor. I still need to measure the gen 4 take outs. I suspect they will be similar.

20201002_123133.jpg
20201002_123742.jpg
20201002_123911.jpg

Oooooh... we are getting all sciencey up in here today, Mr. Fancy Pants.

Last edited:
If my gen 3 rods ever get bendy it looks like I know what way I'm going!

Did you go 6.098 or 6.125 length rods? 9.6 or 10.7 compression?

If my gen 3 rods ever get bendy it looks like I know what way I'm going!
I'll do a more thorough write up when I get the gen 4 stuff weighed up. But this supports what I've read online for weights and rebalancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor