Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Block was dropped at the machine shop for a Hot tank, cam bearings and a hone for the pistons. Talked to the owner about my balance situation and showed him all my numbers from my notes, he agreed that it could be improved but was easily within OEM tolerance. He was going to get a second opinion but he thinks its going to work out just fine.

Should have it back before the end of the week.

Happy day!

Block was dropped at the machine shop for a Hot tank, cam bearings and a hone for the pistons. Talked to the owner about my balance situation and showed him all my numbers from my notes, he agreed that it could be improved but was easily within OEM tolerance. He was going to get a second opinion but he thinks its going to work out just fine.

Happy day!

I agree with the balance. All machine shop guys will rebalance for 5 grams. But most of them (not speaking for yours) are thinking about NA builds in an old school SBC, SBF, BBC, BBF. The LS stuff has added a new dimension IMO - I give the buttress bolts all of the credit. Also, they are always thinking about spinning sh*t to the moon (8K plus). You're 6.0 ill live forever with a good tune sub 7200rpms. I'd say the hell with the re-balance if your numbers are right.

I agree with the balance. All machine shop guys will rebalance for 5 grams. But most of them (not speaking for yours) are thinking about NA builds in an old school SBC, SBF, BBC, BBF. The LS stuff has added a new dimension IMO - I give the buttress bolts all of the credit. Also, they are always thinking about spinning sh*t to the moon (8K plus). You're 6.0 ill live forever with a good tune sub 7200rpms. I'd say the hell with the re-balance if your numbers are right.

I agree that modern motors have a different dynamic, shorter throws, better block design, better metallurgy, etc. Its a different world. He gave me some tips, so I'm going to get everything weight matched exactly and probably try to pull at least 1 gram off the bob weight to get it bang on. I can at least give it a fair chance.

I was surprised to see an extreme spread of 8g on both factory rotating assemblies, and almost 3g of standard deviation. That won't be hard to improve on. I'm going to do the math if it was weight sorted, see what it could have been if someone cared.

I agree that modern motors have a different dynamic, shorter throws, better block design, better metallurgy, etc. Its a different world. He gave me some tips, so I'm going to get everything weight matched exactly and probably try to pull at least 1 gram off the bob weight to get it bang on. I can at least give it a fair chance.

I was surprised to see an extreme spread of 8g on both factory rotating assemblies, and almost 3g of standard deviation. That won't be hard to improve on. I'm going to do the math if it was weight sorted, see what it could have been if someone cared.

Jinkies - you're going to be in love with motor - you'll be disheartened when it spills its guts/grenades at 20psi - because 20 psi is coming - I can feel it 🙂🙂

😉

Jinkies - you're going to be in love with motor - you'll be disheartened when it spills its guts/grenades at 20psi - because 20 psi is coming - I can feel it 🙂🙂

😉
I bought a 4 bar map sensor for a reason. Hahaha

Gotta use it all!!
f900268df5b8b61a2546a83a95fcb208.jpg

Happy day!
I believe my rotating assembly was balanced to within 1 gram give or take. Maybe it's just me but when going through all this what's a little more money spent on getting it as good as possible? Will it make a big difference when all is said and done? I don't know but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside ☺

I believe my rotating assembly was balanced to within 1 gram give or take. Maybe it's just me but when going through all this what's a little more money spent on getting it as good as possible? Will it make a big difference when all is said and done? I don't know but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside ☺
It's there; I'd do it. "Factory tolerances" = "close enough", but that's not good enough when you have the time to do it right.

Problem is It'll snowball into a lot of money. You are both right, it should be done, but it will end up costing a fortune and ruining my time line. For what I need right now this will be perfect.

The next motor is going to be the work of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor