On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I guess I didn’t need to sleep on it. I’m going to fix it proper. And nothing to be sad about (Rktpwrd ). I’m glad I found it now while I have time to get it done.

It’s obvious from the one picture the amount of rust on the pipes. The one with the sharp bend in it has a soft spot as well - that’s the price for wrapping steel pipes. 3 years in wrap and they rust quickly, just a fact of life unfortunately in the turbo world. The correct solution is quality stainless pipes that won’t corrode, but stainless pipes have never been in the budget. It would require another tank for shielding gas, much more expensive flex joints (or double slip joints $$$).

I guess 3 years is long enough for $150 of materials.

I made this crappy setup for the ease of a single WG placement. I guess I’ll have to plumb in the WG properly as well - finally.

Regarding another piece of winter upgrades, the Treadstone IC doesn’t have typical chyna EBay IC mounts. So I have to have new mounts tig’d onto the new IC. I’ll post some pics once it’s ready for install.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Why not just zap it shut, zap a piece of flat over it, rewrap and send?
Because it won’t last. Been there and done that. Once it gets rusty and thin, it turns into a lather, rinse, repeat deal … unfortunately.

Next, hopefully Monte Alban has given me my last trans fluid bath last night. I took a step :

31720A7E-441C-4533-9B96-DBF6390875E8.jpeg DC0C0E96-F4DF-440C-9798-FAF29AFE539C.jpeg

And it actually doesn’t leak!

On the first try ;)

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Because it won’t last. Been there and done that. Once it gets rusty and thin, it turns into a lather, rinse, repeat deal … unfortunately.

Next, hopefully Monte Alban has given me my last trans fluid bath last night. I took a step :

View attachment 212485 View attachment 212486

And it actually doesn’t leak!

On the first try ;)
Thats a pretty good idea, not gonna lie. I should probably do this too...

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thats a pretty good idea, not gonna lie. I should probably do this too...
I bought a relatively cheap plug kit off eBay, but it seals up well. I filled the pan with water for about two hours - no leaks. I actually took my time welding it to get the welder setup correctly so I could do it in 3 beads with proper overlap. I took a couple of lessons from Rktpwrd threads.

This is the 3rd time I’ve pulled the pan in the last year or so, the blood spill is inevitable without it.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It’s been slow goin’ due to some sort of virus I caught that has morphed into pneumonia- like wtf. I’m getting lots of rest and drinking lots of fluids - let my Dr. know so I don’t have to BS him haha. I don’t feel too sick, but …….. I know something isn’t right. Getting old is great!!

I managed to get the motor and trans back in and I am in the process of re-working some piping. I got the locking intake pipe at the TB made. Obviously this will lead to some more welding on the mating intake pipe.

050BC53C-D2C5-4B17-9AA0-1AAD6F67C061.jpeg
5D376E18-7AA5-4908-A0E8-74FA1A95DF83.jpeg

Hopefully this will hold beyond 34 psi of boost. 34psi was the blow apart point of the previous setup.

I’m still pulling for having it running by the end of the week (depending on how I feel.)

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have the last bit of piping fab’ed and ready to be tig’d.

372D1EA1-2E60-469A-B179-8D4D6E99A79A.jpeg

I drilled and tapped the turbine housing for back pressure sensor tubing. It pained me to drill the housing, but the tapping went surprisingly easily.
9EE3EA16-B625-4D35-B091-347ADF71466D.jpeg

I have known that I need more brakes (from the smell at Byron IL), and since I have a couple of sets of Blazer setups, there is no better time than now. And knowing that this was coming at some point I acquired new ball joints (Moog) and have been sitting on these parts for more than 6 months. Also it was a good time to ‘tie down’ the front end with the mod that another member recommended. So I decided to pull the trigger while I’m waiting for the intake piping to get welded. And oh yeah - what a fargin’ mess. I now remember why I dislike replacing ball joints. F2967363-EF8C-4E35-8C5D-686E306243BA.jpeg
3346638E-01FD-4C00-89BD-6CE3E37CF9F4.jpeg

Usually I’m quite organized in terms of having all of the parts needed to complete a repair/upgrade/maintenance or whatever. But I completely dropped the ball on ordering new pads and rotors. I feel like I’m slipping. So I’m waiting until the end of the week for the car to be a roller again. But hopefully by then I’ll have the intake pipe back and have it fired up.

8 weeks until have to have it on the trailer and headed to Florida (I’m beginning to feel some pressure)

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor