On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
This Is Fine GIF
We are just jealous that Jim is committed to full send mode....

Anders Holm Wow GIF

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm just jealous as a whole of what you guys are doing,it's awesome

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Went on a spending spree today (very uncommon for this cheap sob.)

Bought the Champion CC162, LS9 head gaskets, flanges and clamps for a VS 44mm WG (so I can move mine), a new catch can, and some of PA's finest - a 12 pack of Yuengling.

I shimmed the oil pump in an effort to get my idle pressure above 30 hot and over 70 at 7k rpm's. I can't say that it was needed, but I don't think it will hurt. Mike supplied some info that was needed on the amount of shim needed and I appreciate that. If it goes badly, then I'm blaming him ;)

IMG_4015.jpg

I have to admit that pulling the oil pickup tube off and putting it back on was both challenging and a PITA. I had to lift the left side of the engine with a pry bar to allow for enough room to not drop it in the pan. I don't think I'll be doing this again with the motor installed. If I owned a cherry picker, then I would have done this on a stand. I should have all of the motor parts by Thursday. That should give me a day or two to get the shift kit installed in the 4L80.

I'm going to remote mount the dome pressure sensor, because I think the vibration aided in a sudden boost jump when the heads lifted (and yes, both heads lifted). I truly can't believe that I didn't fold a rod aand/or spray down the track - I'm very glad that neither occurred.

Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I shimmed the oil pump in an effort to get my idle pressure above 30 hot and over 70 at 7k rpm's. I can't say that it was needed, but I don't think it will hurt. Mike supplied some info that was needed on the amount of shim needed and I appreciate that. If it goes badly, then I'm blaming him ;)

I Didnt Do It Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I just make stuff up as I go along.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Clever
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I eliminated my hot side dilemma. I moved the wastegate to the driver side pipe in a bend with where the exhaust will want to flow out of the gate rather than into the turbo if the gate is open. Remember that where it was at that it made 20 psi when the WG was open at 4lbs of boost. If works out badly, then I'm blaming Mike (again) because he shamed me months ago about how it was working. Hopefully someone can see the trend here - if anything goes wrong, then it must be Mike's fault because I definitely can't be to blame :-0

Kidding aside, I'm working on the list to get the car ready for Drag Week. Kinda seems like I'm not ready - heads are off the motor, transmission is getting some new clutches, and I have an axle out awaiting a new wheel seal. But I have all of the parts gathered up, waiting for the trans (fingers crossed that this week I'll have it back.) I have to say that winter time is going to bring about me tearing TH400's and 4L80's apart in the garage.

After that, a few little things are left. And then...............................paint.

7 weeks and counting.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I eliminated my hot side dilemma. I moved the wastegate to the driver side pipe in a bend with where the exhaust will want to flow out of the gate rather than into the turbo if the gate is open. Remember that where it was at that it made 20 psi when the WG was open at 4lbs of boost. If works out badly, then I'm blaming Mike (again) because he shamed me months ago about how it was working. Hopefully someone can see the trend here - if anything goes wrong, then it must be Mike's fault because I definitely can't be to blame :-0

Kidding aside, I'm working on the list to get the car ready for Drag Week. Kinda seems like I'm not ready - heads are off the motor, transmission is getting some new clutches, and I have an axle out awaiting a new wheel seal. But I have all of the parts gathered up, waiting for the trans (fingers crossed that this week I'll have it back.) I have to say that winter time is going to bring about me tearing TH400's and 4L80's apart in the garage.

After that, a few little things are left. And then...............................paint.

7 weeks and counting.

I feel a lot of finger pointing occurring in the near future.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

And remember as long as you have the parts it is just adult Lego. Because...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I feel a lot of finger pointing occurring in the near future.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

And remember as long as you have the parts it is just adult Lego. Because...

I don't want to sing the song...

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
At least you KNOW you have a deadline. That puts a fire under your butt like nothing else.

How is the trailer progress going :) ?

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor