On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

At least you KNOW you have a deadline. That puts a fire under your butt like nothing else.

How is the trailer progress going 🙂 ?
No hitch yet. I'm waiting until the 19th-21st for shipping info or just making one and cancelling the order. The trailer is re-wired and torn apart enough to start building. But I have to make it portable, meaning I have to be able to load it in the back of my pickup because both the small trailer and the car won't fit on my car trailer.

Should be interesting.

Couldn't et a video f a good run. This was the slowest I ran for the day - 1.7 60' and lifted twice before the 330'.

The next run was the best 1/8 and 60' that I've had - 6.4 to the 1/8 and 1.504 60'. But something was correct/right. I was running 1/8's only because the tech remembered me from the week before 10.006 in a 10 second legal car so he gave me the 'talking to' which was very decent of him. He could have busted me for sub 6.6 1/8ths as well, but didn't. I was very appreciative.

Last week on the last pass I leaned on it hard (more timing and more boost) to try to get through the stripe faster and something felt like I hit a rev limiter, boost cut or something? I never figured out what that was until yesterday. On the 3rd pass (best pass) I pushed about a 1/2 gallon of coolant. It was one of those things that makes me go 'hmmm'. It took longer than usual to get it cooled down between runs, I topped off the radiator and let it rip for a 4th hot. That led to OUCH. It pushed out about 1-2 gallons and looked like it blew it up, but I didn't. It made a strange noise that resulted in me lifting asap. On the run down road back to the pits it crept to 240 and the trans over 205, so I new it got hot. The hood and windshield were covered in coolant that were pushed out of the radiator cap. I believe the noise was coolant shooting onto the heater delete panel that I made out of an ultra flimsy piece of old Monte Carlo roof. It was hitting on all 8 cylinders and sounded normal. There was not any coolant in the oil or under the valve cover. I guess, I must have lifted a head and probably started the head gasket damage the weak before when I added 5 degrees of timing at 21 psi to try to make more speed.

I drove it on the trailer and off the trailer once I got it home - sounds great. I ran a compression test and all cylinders are 175-185. I have the heads off and they look fine, but I can see where the head gasket began leaking on the driver side. I still have to measure piston heights (looking for bent rods), but I expect none since the compression was so close from cylinder to cylinder. I am running ARP head bolts on this (Bruce gave me crap assuming I was running re-used stock TTY head bolts lol.) I splurged on this for the ARP bolts, like $110 IIRC. And dang, were they tight - verified when I was removing them. The heads are going to the machine shop to be verified for flatness tomorrow. I'm using the cheapest possible head gaskets available as well - the BTR 4.8/5.3 units.

My intake temps were better, but still a runaway train. While contemplating the day's activities today I looked at the MC and it dawned on me that the radiator and intercooler are more than 3 times the size of the hole in the enduro bumper.
View attachment 180783

So I'm looking for some vents that are license plate size to put in the bumper on each side of the license plate. And I'm expecting to pull the black piece off from the bottom of the bumper and I'm going to fab a chin spoiler to install under the radiator much the way most of the other G-bodies are.

I should mention that in the video I have the right side shock set to 12 of 18 to keep it from compressing. It felt faster with it set looser, but time will tell. I have to hit the junkyard to get a sway bar installed to act like an antiroll.

Lastly, I'm going to try to do what wingnutz did to 'tie down' the front end via installing stops in the upper control arms - that looked very ingenuitive.
LOL. I wouldnt limit travel yet... with that shuffle going on it will only make things worse. I ran a 1.34 60' with full travel and some blown *ss 90/10s.

Why in gods name do you not have an ARB in that car??????

LOL. I wouldnt limit travel yet... with that shuffle going on it will only make things worse. I ran a 1.34 60' with full travel and some blown *ss 90/10s.

He's a Wildman. Lol

Reactions: 64nailhead

That’s not even bad lol. I have the shocks adjusted to help there and it broke traction in this video.

The 1st time it hooked it felt like I was going to lay it on its side.

I’m working on an ARB. Stay tuned…….

That’s not even bad lol. I have the shocks adjusted to help there and it broke traction in this video.

The 1st time it hooked it felt like I was going to lay it on its side.

I’m working on an ARB. Stay tuned…….
If you going to do something stupid... do it carefully. lol. I would deal with it with spring rate (a football), instead of with the shocks. You need those shocks to work all the way down the track.

If you going to do something stupid... do it carefully. lol. I would deal with it with spring rate (a football), instead of with the shocks. You need those shocks to work all the way down the track.
Funny story about doing something(s) stupid, my previous WG location made all the boost on whatever spring was installed - 'all the boost' meaning 19-21 psi on a 4lb spring. I've changed a bunch of little things around in the past week and a half. Namely wastegate location, so I should be able to control boost a bunch better down the track. This applies to your mention of needing the shocks to work down the track, because the boost builds well faster than I want which has me retarding the timing 4 seconds out to keep from spinning. I'm hoping that I'll be able to bring in the boost slower rather than pulling power via timing retard only -
and yes, my poor exhaust valves lol.

I'm sure I've done plenty of ignorant things, but not too many stupid **note 'not too many'. But it's easy to be ignorant of what I don't know, and understandable. Trying to learn and live rather than to live and learn 😉

Anyway, the transmission is done! I smoked the clutches wrecked the pump. It still worked, ran, drove, and shifted fine under normal driving, but perhaps now I'll be able to see an rpm change from 1st to 2nd - time will tell. The trans Dr. mentioned that I was about ready to start making too much heat when driving. He said he made a couple of changes that should help. It's done though, just have to get it picked up in the next day or two and reassemble everything including the motor. Busy time ahead for the remainder of the week.

Man you did it good.

Lifted heads and smoked the trans in the same shot. Well done.

At least you know your deadline!

Trans is back and installed. Will be putting the heads back on tomorrow - hopefully get it done, but not too sure. I have all of my wiring changes completed as well, but not tied up in the dash (always make sure they work before hiding them in the dash.) And have one door bar fitted, but not welded.

And all I can say is that after pulling and putting a transmission on a lift........the floor now sucks balls.

31 days and counting.

Trans is back and installed. Will be putting the heads back on tomorrow - hopefully get it done, but not too sure. I have all of my wiring changes completed as well, but not tied up in the dash (always make sure they work before hiding them in the dash.) And have one door bar fitted, but not welded.

And all I can say is that after pulling and putting a transmission on a lift........the floor now sucks balls.

31 days and counting.
First time I ever installed a transmission I was alone on my back at 3am... Almost sold the car

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor