On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
First time I ever installed a transmission I was alone on my back at 3am... Almost sold the car
I need a proper device to engage the transmission, then it wouldn't be nearly as difficult. Or of a 4L80 with a TC hanging on the front didn't weigh 175lbs.

Gimme a PG or TH350 lol.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I need a proper device to engage the transmission, then it wouldn't be nearly as difficult. Or of a 4L80 with a TC hanging on the front didn't weigh 175lbs.

Gimme a PG or TH350 lol.
I don't like buying Chinese stuff but the HF transmission jack is awesome.

20190303_153839-2016x1134.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I don't like buying Chinese stuff but the HF transmission jack is awesome.

View attachment 181524
I use a motorcycle/atv jack. Same idea and works deadly. Need it if you don't want to run one of them sissy, flimsy feeling transmission's that you can lift on your own.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Thing is my MCSS (currently, may build one out of aluminum) has the air box deleted. But, I went hog wild sealing the crap out of the rad to the core support, I am running a lower air dam, and using a junkyard Ford fan and a homemade shroud.

If you were building a Corvette or 3rd Gen Firebird how would you do this?

I skipped a few pages here to show how I did my 4th gen. Some 3rd gens also had a couple small ducts to feed the radiator that you could integrate as well. I think I'd want the stock grill feeding some sort of plenum. Anyway, this is how I did my strictly bottom feeder 4th gen. Next time, I'm using aluminum sheet.

20190224_215521.jpg

20190225_225608.jpg

20190225_225624.jpg
20190226_213637.jpg

20190410_203539.jpg

I first made it out of cardboard first, the sides took a few iterations to get right.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Did the hockey puck drill to put a friend's Dodge body back on its frame post rehab.

You;d have to pay a visit to a sports shop but i seems to me that I recall there being different durometer readings for different brands of pucks; summarily some are made of a harder rubber or composite compound. I know that if you wanted to be nasty you could stick the puck in the family refrigerator freezer next to the frozen broccoli spears and dig it out just before heading outside to play road hockey. LOL capable of breaking bones while still rock hard. WE tended to go more for the softer rubber balls and foam pucks but even they could be frozen if neccessary.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Think there were pictures posted at some point but when I needed a transmission jack, I managed to pick up the correct cradle for one from Napa and then converted a standard floor jack to four wheel steering. Pics may be on the Non G Thread site. A dedicated transmission jack would have been better but the swap was a one time, FOTF, RA, and LMAO!! that ended up requiring me to drop and roll the new box about three time whle dealing with complications.

Nick

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Holy bejesus, some quick changes have turned painful. I modified the driver side exhaust pipe to accept the WG. Wow did I fubar that. The WG won’t clear the BOV and I didn’t think of where to dump it. The only conceivable location was on the left front tire. So I scrapped that and remade the pipe. Also, the new radiator (cc162) is thicker and caused interference between the fan and the same pipe. Like …. uhhhh …. wtf.
So new pipe(new mostly) fab was last night and the WG now dumps properly under the engine and is out of sight.
7D195C9A-7DA9-4426-B3F9-70EF861E9C8C.jpeg

If Hoyle holds up, then I’ll fire it up tonight and be driving tomorrow night (fingers crossed).
24 days and counting to Drag Week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Holy bejesus, some quick changes have turned painful. I modified the driver side exhaust pipe to accept the WG. Wow did I fubar that. The WG won’t clear the BOV and I didn’t think of where to dump it. The only conceivable location was on the left front tire. So I scrapped that and remade the pipe. Also, the new lead (cc162) is thicker and caused interference between the fan and the same pipe. Like …. uhhhh …. wtf.
So new pipe(new mostly) fab was last night and the WG now dumps properly under the engine and is out of sight. View attachment 181883

If Hoyle holds up, then I’ll fire it up tonight and be driving tomorrow night (fingers crossed).
24 days and counting to Drag Week.
I feel your pain right now.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
It can turn surreal how long little things can take.

Adapt and over come
I've changed pinouts for my firewall plugs 4 times now. I keep finding new things to add that I forgot. I think it's final now though, should be progress pics in a day or two.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor