On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes, it's hitting on all 8. At least according to a heat gun and cutting out the coil packs via unplugging.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
My car left a little harder than yours but generally 6.00 is a 9.50. So it’s pretty consistent.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My car left a little harder than yours but generally 6.00 is a 9.50. So it’s pretty consistent.
There’s more to that. I had some issues and was a little disappointed to not get to a 5.8. But I have to take the small wins - 3 consecutive 60’ hits. Attempting to be consistent is difficult, well for me anyway haha.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
There’s more to that. I had some issues and was a little disappointed to not get to a 5.8. But I have to take the small wins - 3 consecutive 60’ hits. Attempting to be consistent is difficult, well for me anyway haha.

Thanks!
Yeah with my car it took all I could throw at it so the numbers aren’t exactly the same. Your car is showing bigger speed than mine at that et. So it’s making more power than I had for the et. But you have to modulate the power to get it to leave in your case with small tires. I was 1.30 in 60’ and 139 mph. Work on getting it consistent where you are and then put more power to it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Black numbers compression and orange numbers are leak down. I put in a new set of plugs and drive it 10 miles last night and made two 12 psi hits (WG spring pressure). 8D69BC7E-D151-4627-AEDC-92C72C63800D.jpeg
So apart the motor comes. The noise comes in when it starts building cylinder pressure. I pulled the new plugs and all looked perfect except #1 and #5. I don’t understand why 5 was mildly sooted after seeing these readings, but FWIW, #1 plug was awful as compared to the remaining 6. Perhaps my testing equipment isn’t extremely precise, but I’m sure it’s accurate after seeing #1 plug.

I have been planning to pull the motor before Sick Week for a couple of reasons, but now it’s obvious. I was thinking that I possibly had the cam going away, but cam has nothing to do with the leak down test. And I thought maybe I bent a rod, but again, the leak down test has no concern of the length of the rod. So I’ve either washed a cylinder badly or I have a piston/ring issue on #1.

Late fall plan : get the injectors serviced/replaced as needed. Decide if I want to re-ring and hone / forged piston upgrade / forged piston and rod combo. The decision is going to made for me by the parts as I tear it apart. I want to stay cheap, but……..time will tell.

Perhaps any damage done was completed by my 30 degree 12 psi hit that took out the head gaskets, or perhaps 40-50 25+psi passes is all I can I get out of a stock bottom end. Lastly, maybe a combination of both.

I’ll update as it comes apart.

p.s. - I rechecked #1 three times - it’s a sh*tter

• Sad
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
#1 image.jpg

The rest
image.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
To those of you that replied with a sad/disappointed - nothing to be sad about at all AFAIC. This is part of the gig- ‘how much will it take?’ Geesh, I don’t know, but maybe I’m getting close to finding out.

I’m not disappointed at all. I made it through DW, spent an amazing week with my son, had s’more fun doing it than should be legal!!

sh*t happens and I’ll fix it - I have the technology and ‘ my brother has this bitchin’ set of tools’ haha (Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ quote of the day)

I expected it to break it at some point, but the goal was to have it break locally while testing.

Absolutely no sadness here at all. I enjoy pulling the motor and working on it - it keeps me young :)

It certainly beats a full day of yard work!!!!

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don’t smell anything. The only thing noticeably different is when I put it not on the brake/2 step is that I see some smoke (blue - oil). Driving it you would never know. I had it sideways more than once during the 10 mile drive haha. But boost will do that.

And the oil pressure is still the same and nothing in the catch can. I’m still not sold on what the exact issue is, but ………… I’m about to find out hehe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor