Oops, I think I goofed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
Thought I would give gasket matching a shot. I lined a Felpro 1205 gasket up on the intake, and started blending the port to the gasket. Then I put the gasket on the cylinder head and realized how much bigger the gasket is then the port. So I really don’t know if I should open the port opening on the head out that much. Suggestions from someone with experience?
C9753B8C-BA5A-4458-8D8D-371EA3FD413D.jpeg
D9A52B5E-8BCE-4096-9F92-3A4C71C16071.jpeg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Buy some new aluminum heads with bigger ports to match your intake.:)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Now that’s sound advice. My wife will love that logic.
I figured that is why you did it anyways since everyone knows all the good aluminum heads use a Fel Pro 1205 gasket and you do need to use the intake you just spent time porting on something that matches.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I never gasket match heads/intakes for this reason. I cleanup the head ports until I am happy with them, then make cardboard templates of each head, then match the intakes to my cardboard templates.

With port size, bigger isn't always better, but matched is always better than un-matched.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
I never gasket match heads/intakes for this reason. I cleanup the head ports until I am happy with them, then make cardboard templates of each head, then match the intakes to my cardboard templates.

With port size, bigger isn't always better, but matched is always better than un-matched.
I should of payed more attention b4 I started. That’s why I titled it “Oops” just not sure where to go from here. Buy another intake and start over?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I should of payed more attention b4 I started. That’s why I titled it “Oops” just not sure where to go from here. Buy another intake and start over?
Even though I like my first idea best, if buying another intake is an option (and not bigger heads ;)) then I would probably go that route and sell your current intake as a port matched one, trying to open the head to that gasket is kind of a "band-aid" fix besides you will regret it once you start grinding on cast iron versus aluminum.

• Agree

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
Even though I like my first idea best, if buying another intake is an option (and not bigger heads ;)) then I would probably go that route and sell your current intake as a port matched one, trying to open the head to that gasket is kind of a "band-aid" fix besides you will regret it once you start grinding on cast iron versus aluminum.
I liked the first idea too. Lol. I kinda figured I’d b buying an intake. Lesson learned. $$$

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor