Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I know it's not (or shouldn't be) the coil because wasted spark. If the coil was bad, it should have 2 misfires, no? There are 3 coils for 6 cylinders.
That's what they taught us in school. Thats also what gm taught. Oh and what ford taught us. When you look at the wiring schematics, that's also true. But in reality, a waste spark coil system can have a single cylinder misfire and the cause is the coil pack. 13 years as a driveabilty tech.
I'd start swapping the easiest parts first

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I can dig it. The Taylor plug wires are only a couple years old. The #1 plug was pretty white, but the electrode and ground strap are intact. #1 is also the first injector by the rail inlet and I've had a bad injector on 3, already. It only pops up when I hammer it. It's fine if I drive like a normal person.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I can dig it. The Taylor plug wires are only a couple years old. The #1 plug was pretty white, but the electrode and ground strap are intact. #1 is also the first injector by the rail inlet and I've had a bad injector on 3, already. It only pops up when I hammer it. It's fine if I drive like a normal person.
Sounds like you are already halfway to getting the problem solved.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
EGR valve
View attachment 177696 View attachment 177697 View attachment 177698
I ordered some block off plates from Amazon that were too small. I poked around the webz, and nothing looked like a match. I had a pack of cheese ball, Mr. Gasket pipe plugs on the shelf, so I borrowed a tap from neighbor Jimmy and sent it. Hopefully, the check engine light stays out, as ZZP was spoda do that in their "Stage 1" tune. The reason for this is the huge crack in the EGR manifold, should be visible in the pic. I could feel hot air with my finger. Last weekend, I mashed the throttle coming out of a traffic jam. It was right at the top of 1st for a downshift, it decided that the rev limiter wasn't necessary at the time, and it let out a tink, tink, tink! Then, the CEL started sending me Morse code. It was a P301 misfire, so I figured it was the huge exhaust leak.
Thing I love about this post, aside from the technical content, is how difficult, therefore rewarding, it is, to orient yourself, and understand what you're looking at as you carefully slide your gaze from the first engine compartment picture to the last one.

What helped me get oriented was the shiny yellow dipstick handle. While missing in the middle picture, its location in the top and bottom pix helped me suss things out. But aside from that one item, there's not a lot common in both pictures, and in the middle picture? There's not much familiar looking to figure out what all has been "fleming442'd" to get from pic 1 to pic 2. Finally in pic 3, we catch a glimpse of something that is recognizable as a pipe plug, shiny and new, more or less front and center, so maybe we can go back and read the text again and see if it makes any more sense.

Well, not quite, for me, anyway.

I still can't make sense of the middle pic.

Can somebody help me out?

I don't mind not understanding the technical sh*t; that doesn't bother me. I can live with that. It's not understanding what I'm seeing that makes me crazy.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) put exhaust gases, via a valve, into the intake. The middle pic is the pipe plug in the intake, also in the middle of the frame. I took the whole thing off, and plugged the exhaust ant intake manifold holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor