Opinions! Chevy engines vs. Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Which one do you think has better engines??

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Re: Opions! Chevy engines vs. Olds

Oh god this is gonna get bad. My vote is Olds!

79 drag car

Greasemonkey
Jul 6, 2011
pennsylvania

bowtie

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI

:popcorn: I can see the flamewars beginning already. GP403 you better watch over this thread lol!

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO

As long as it GM I could care less. I take a little pride in saying my Cutlass is still olds powered just as I do saying my El Camino is Chevy powered. So like I said as long as its GM its good.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois

Dude, you didn't even spell the title of this thread correctly....christ

I'm going to say for small blocks I would go with Chevy. Big Blocks, it's hard to beat a BBO 8)

Pretty much everyone switches a Cutlass over to Chevy power because of the cost of Olds parts. There's just not as many aftermarket parts out there for Olds, so everything costs even more. Also, because there's so many more Chevy engines out there, you can always find used Chevy parts for cheap....

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio

Chevy vs Olds vs Buick vs Pontiac vs Cadillac...all have their highs and lows, but it is unfair to say any are better. You can say it, and have a right to your opinion, but so does everyone else and if we have differing opions, we should agree to disagree, and go on.

I have either owned or driven examples of all, I love 455 Olds motors, 400 pontiac and chevy, 350 chevy and buick, and 500 Caddys. I have swaped all of them in or out of something over the years. I have an 8.1 I am prepping for my 1985 SS, it is my first BBC. I don't mind the 4.3 chevy, but I like the 350 better, lol.

I did not like 3.8 chevy or buicks, 260 olds or 267, 265, 305, or 307 chevys, or the 301 pontiac. That does not mean they were bad motors, I just did not like the ones I had, and swapped them for something else.

Just run what you like, and don't worry about anyone else, it's all good. :mrgreen:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

I've had Oldsmobile and Chevy engines. I say Chevy. I loved my 455 olds but I just like Chevy engines better. I just think there is more HP per dollar with a Chevy. You can build a nice 455 and still get smoked by a Chevy 383 that has the same amount of money into it. The aftermarket for Oldmobile is small but it is growing, or atleast I am finding out about more people dealing or making Olds parts. You can take pretty much any year 350 Chevy and for around a $1k get 350 HP out of it (Vortec heads, cam, headers, intake.) An Oldsmobile, not so much unless you buy one that was built in the late 60's early 70's. I also have to ask, what do you see cleaning up at the drag strips? I know, I know, its because there are more Chevrolets there right? :roll:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

Like it has been said before...its more about what you are after and how much you want to spend to get there. I chose to put a 350 SBO in my Salon because I like the torque and the sound of those engines. I found one cheap, had it rebuilt, and put it in. If I was gonna race it, then I would have had a harder choice to make. Chevy engines are hard to beat dollar for dollar. But in my opinion, stock Olds motors have something stock chevys lack....TORQUE! And thats what you feel when you step on the gas pedal. They dont rev as high, and parts are harder to find or more expensive, but its worth it in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor