Opinions! Chevy engines vs. Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
houndin101 said:
im just really tired of seeing ls1's in everything...that sh*t gets old too quick...great motors but there the mustangs of motors lol everyone got'em

best thing i heard yet, ls1's are beat to hell.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
G-Body_Vet said:
Opinions are like *ssh*les, everyone's got one! Everybody on here has some kind of brand loyalty and they stick to it. Some of us like traditional old school engines, some like modern mills, some people can't fix anything but a Chevy and I don't know what the hell you're thinking Pat! :rofl:

Just giving you sh*t man! That would definitely be something you don't see every day. If we didn't try something different once in awhile we'd all have cars with SBC's, V6's and 307's....and the occasional 301!
this is true...but there are some swaps that just make you scratch your head...lol

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I have no problem keeping a GM product in a GM car, but maybe its because I've seen ford motors in chevys and sbc's in fords. It's not very often that you see big block chrysler because of how expensive they are to build. They are right there with Big Block BOP's.

I have a cousin who races a 72' Nova with a 440 and he averages 10.5 in the quarter. I'm sure LS1 swaps are nice, but we have the same problem in the Chrysler realm with people swapping in the new hemi motors. It gets really boring and everyone is doing the same damn thing.

I think I got the idea of putting a big block chrysler in my malibu is because I don't think of it as a chevy anymore. That car has always been a blank slate to me, and I like the stroke/bore ratios, head design, and the smooth transition between torque and horsepower curves of the big block chryslers. The big block 383 presents these attributes the best because it makes the torque of a big block but has the smaller stroke of a sbc 350 to scream in the higher rpms.

Just call me......different lol 8)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Why would you like high rpms in a street motor? You like high maintenence and fixing stuff long before you should have to for a given power level?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
patmckinneyracing said:
I have no problem keeping a GM product in a GM car, but maybe its because I've seen ford motors in chevys and sbc's in fords. It's not very often that you see big block chrysler because of how expensive they are to build. They are right there with Big Block BOP's.

I have a cousin who races a 72' Nova with a 440 and he averages 10.5 in the quarter. I'm sure LS1 swaps are nice, but we have the same problem in the Chrysler realm with people swapping in the new hemi motors. It gets really boring and everyone is doing the same damn thing.

I think I got the idea of putting a big block chrysler in my malibu is because I don't think of it as a chevy anymore. That car has always been a blank slate to me, and I like the stroke/bore ratios, head design, and the smooth transition between torque and horsepower curves of the big block chryslers. The big block 383 presents these attributes the best because it makes the torque of a big block but has the smaller stroke of a sbc 350 to scream in the higher rpms.

Just call me......different lol 8)
Just imagine, the Chrysler 440 mated to a GM TH400 in front of a Ford 9 inch. You got yourself a rolling, interracial cluster**** :mrgreen: Im just giving you sh*t, its not something I would do but that doesnt mean its a stupid decision. YOU build YOUR car the way YOU like it.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
84cutlassjuggalo said:
Dr. Rudy said:
oooh no, you brought up the torqueless wonders on a forum, we must discuss haha.
I dont mind rotaries too much, its just that after about 80k miles they need to be torn apart, at least if your driving them correctly.

i like them because not many people know much about them and you can do minor adjustments and get a lot of hp out of one. i just hate when people say they're a throw away motor. they're made pretty much just for performance and aren't ment for driving short distances but people don't drive them proper and get mad that the apex seals go. great motors just not for daily driving
I think it sucks that its a pain to turbo a non turbo 13b

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor