Opinions on My "New" Truck Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
So I finally bought a truck I've been lusting after for 8 or 9 years from my neighbor. It's a 1995 F150 4x4 5 speed, 302. Extended Cab Long Bed. Turquoise and White on Gray interior. I've wanted to buy this truck a longggg time. He was very upfront with me when I bought it, saying he thought it was rusted beyond repair and I only paid $300 for it. It runs and drives, and everything works, AC, power windows and locks, radio, and all.

Well I guess I got a bit overexcited after finally convincing my neighbor to sell it to me after close to 10 years, because I found out today after dropping the truck off at a frame welding shop to be checked over that it likely needs the cab and frame replaced to be properly repaired. The guy at the frame shop said it would probably be alright to drive around for a little, but he didn't want to take on the job as he didn't want to open a can of worms.

So now that I'm getting over the disappointment, I'm considering my options. The way I see it, I've got a few options-

1. Buy a cab and frame and swap the rest of the truck over. Only this is very time and labor intensive, and I don't really have the resources to do this right now.

2. Sell the truck outright and probably make a little money (also crush my heart).

3. Get a shady mechanic to throw inspection stickers on it (I'm in PA, and the truck is currently out of inspection), patch up what I can, and drive it until I can afford to fix it properly.

I'm refusing to part out or scrap the truck as I like it way to much to let it become a parts vehicle. I have another vehicle to drive so the truck isn't my main mode of transportation. I'm most considering option #3 right now. If anyone else has a better idea or maybe knows someone who'd be willing to weld up the frame and the cab, please let me know. I've attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

Nov 4, 2012
Pics of the rusty frame?

It's hard to get pictures of but it's got pinholes along the front passenger side frame rail, and the rear is pretty crusty (although I can't see any holes) It does have new spring shackle mounts.

I just really want to fix this truck. I've lusted after this thing since I've been a kid. It's optioned exactly how I'd have ordered it new, too. 5.0, 5 speed, 4wd, XLT Trim, dual gas tanks, beautiful color combo, posi rear, Warn Hubs. And it all still works too! Not to mention it's one of, if not the best body style truck Ford ever did. It just seems like too good of a vehicle to be demoted to farm duty or parts, IMO.

Last edited:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
now I remember why I never want to own another northern vehicle! when I was a younger lad, I would've jumped into this with both feet, but now that I'm older, I pass on it, and let the younger (insert you here ;)) generation mess with them!

do a search on craigslist for a frame, sometimes you get lucky and find an abandoned project. beware of the cars you've dreamed over for yrars, they may prove to be a nightmare.... ask me how I know:blam:

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As stated it looks like you'll open a can of worms and a lot of money. Drive it as is and get your moneys worth or get out while the getting is good.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
1. Fly to the west coast.
2. Buy a completely rust-free truck exactly like that (they're common here).
3. Have it shipped to PA.
4. Enjoy truck.
5. Enjoy the many, many thousands of dollars you just saved.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
As stated it looks like you'll open a can of worms and a lot of money. Drive it as is and get your moneys worth or get out while the getting is good.

I think you've got the right idea. I'm gonna drive it around as is and enjoy it. I know it wouldn't be economically intelligent to try and swap the frame and cab.

1. Fly to the west coast.
2. Buy a completely rust-free truck exactly like that (they're common here).
3. Have it shipped to PA.
4. Enjoy truck.
5. Enjoy the many, many thousands of dollars you just saved.

I've actually been considering this as well. I could probably sell this truck and another vehicle I have and have enough to buy a pretty decent west coast truck and make it my daily.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Nov 4, 2012
Well thanks for all the replies. Ideas and Opinions are always welcome. Today I decided to perform my own inspection, and be very thorough with it. The results are mostly good news. The best news is, IMO, the frame is just fine. I got underneath with my 3 lb hammer and hit everywhere I could reach with it. The frame rang like a bell everywhere I hit. The only "holes" I found on the frame appear to be from someone being careless with an oxyacetylene torch when they burned out the rivets on the front suspension brackets when they replaced them (the suspension brackets were definitely replaced as they are bolted in and look much new than the rest of the frame), as they are tiny, and solid all around them.

The other thing I did was gut the interior to check out the cab. The cab probably could be repaired, but it is very rough around the bottom. I've been researching replacing the cab, and it doesn't seem too difficult. I think I can do it.

So, unfortunately for my wallet, I think my heart is bigger than my brain in this situation. And I want to do this while I'm young, no offense Darin, but I want to do it before I start thinking rationally like yourself. I have found a few rust free cabs online in the $500 range. I think I'm gonna fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor