Opinions or options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
So I'm starting to gather parts but have no time. So the last thing I should do is look to gather more parts. Lol.
Ok here's what I'm thinking. I have the ls1 rear brake upgrade minus the rotors and pads. I also
Have the blazer spindles and rotors. From what I've read unless I missed something is that the ls1 rear set up is bigger than the blazer front set up? Since I hear the ls1 rears are limited to the 15s that will fit over them. Either way I'm thinking before I buy rotors and pads is there a bigger rotor I could use and make brackets to place the calipers to accommodate the bigger rotors? Anybody try this before. Or maybe ls1 rotors and calipers? I can make or have made brackets if I can't find them. That's the easy part I think. I'm more concerned that the parts will work together. I have 15s now but I think I'm going to step up to 17s.
Lmk your thoughts ideas or what have you tried that worked or didn't. Thanks

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I guess nobody has ever tried using different rotors on the front? With the blazer set up?

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I guess nobody has ever tried using different rotors on the front? With the blazer set up?
I have thought about doing it down the line. I was going to mount the rotor and prop the caliper up and make the necessary adapter. Right now I'm just going with the stock blazer stuff to fit under 15" wheels.

Rok_OEM

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
Just to clarify your asking about the fronts, right? I think www.kore3.com could help you out. if your looking for a kit or just parts to adapt larger rotors and calipers to the blazer spindles.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Yes just the front. I already invested in the blazer spindles and calipers, I still have to buy the hubs and rotors. So I wondered if I went with a bigger rotor and just made a bracket for the caliper based on the rotor. It should work if I get the right rotor. Im not looking for anything too crazy like the big 4 piston corvette set up. Just a little bigger than the factory blazer set and because I always have to be different and complicate things lol

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
If building a new caliper mounting bracket is an option you can use literally any rotor / matching caliper combo you want, this isn't anything new or unusual in the car building world.
However, keep in mind that the brake pad itself is curved to match the diameter of the rotor so you will need a rotor with matching brake pad that fits your caliper with an offset that clears your wheels.

also the factory brackets are generally cast steel with enough rigidity to hold the mass of your vehicle back when brakes are at full lock with optimum traction. Start offsetting the caliper from the mounting brackets too far and the vectors of force will start to change drastically and binding issues can come into play.

Look at it this way, when you apply the brakes the caliper is trying to spin around with the rotor. Now if you have a simple bracket made from plate steel and the caliper and mounts are directly on the centerline of the rotor the forces are directly inline with the caliper and mount and the braking force will be through the thickness of the plate and likely this setup will work perfectly. Now offset that mount say 2" one side or the other of the rotor and suddenly the forces aren't directly through the thickness of the plate and have an additional side load. Any flex in that plate will shift the caliper sideways adding more force to one side of the caliper adding more clamping pressure and consequently more flex and a very dangerous binding issue occurs. Floating calipers or pistons on either side of the brake pads can help balance this flex and you may not even know this is occuring but these vibrations can fatigue components and hardware and lead to a catastrophic brake failure as well.

The factory brakes by today's standards are woefully inadequate and upgrading brakes is definitely a good idea but messing around with brakes can be a very dangerous game mixing and matching components that "fit" but have geometry incompatible with each other.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
You can get C5 abutment brackets and rotors and ls1 camaro/firebird front calipers. You can get the adpater brackets from kore-3.com. But the of course you'll need to find wheels that clear the 12" brakes.

You can also try this to use the ls1 front brakes but I hear this guy is tough to get a hold of http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i25.html

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Thanks for the input guys. I dont want to get to crazy. I already invested in the blazer set up I was just curious if i could use a little bit bigger rotor and make it work. If I hadnt bought anything then I mightve gone the corvette brake route.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I was just wondering if anybody had tried going to a larger rotor using the blazer calipers.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
You probably could so long as the rotor wasn't too thick and you could make a strong bracket.

However, a larger diameter rotor isn't always better anyways. The stock blazer calipers and rotors already brake very well. I think you will be happy with the braking performance increase over stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor