Original motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
The tan is hooked up to the oil sender and the green is hooked up to the temp switch fuel pump has power and ground so what am I missing for these three not to be working. The cluster works clock works tested gas and temp gauge they do operate and the volt me

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You have a bunch of variables going on here. Start by having a friend help verifying gauge operation- someone watch the gauges with the key on, and tap the tan and green to ground. If that moves the gauge, you know it's a sender problem.

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
I have already tested fuel and temp gauge those operate but I have not tested the oil gauge its just stays pegged passed 60 but I'll test it today are these gauges hooked up to relays that require them to work . the car was fuel injected before

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The sender wires should not be hooked to any relays (unless the fuel pump relay coil gets ground from the sender as a fail safe). Have you found the fuel relay? The coil side (pins 85 & 86) should have ignition (usually pink) and some sort of ground. A simple test light to the ground side of the relay coil should be enough to kick the relay and run the pump with the key on. That would be my start point for trouble shooting.
If you look at the oil sender wiring on the maliburacing diagram, there's a note that says "oil pressure is open when low" which would tell me that it should rest at zero, and grounding the wire should move the needle up. That being said, if your gauge is pegged high, I would think the sender wire is grounded somewhere.

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
Now my problem is the hack who I bought the car from cut everything and the only ready left is for the blower motor. wires are just coming out of the fire wall I don't know which are which the relays are gone

Attachments

• KIMG0128.JPG
    KIMG0128.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 134

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
OK now that I remember when I unplugged the fuel sending unit to test the fuel gauge by grounding it the fuel gauge went even further up and the oil gauge read zero for a few seconds would that show a prob on the connections on the fuel sending unit?

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
My tan wire coming from oil sending unit runs to my fuel sender the gas gauge floats around full and when I start the car my oil gauge pegs past 60 is the tan oil sender wire grounding to the negative on the fuel sender would this make both of the gauges act like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor