Paint prep question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was wondering if the (black) primer that's applied to new body panels like Goodmark hoods, etc. should be completely removed, or can it be covered over with a primer sealer?
On my hood for instance, I had buzzed the outer skin with a jitterbug sander and primed it. Now the bottom, or underside of the hood still has the black primer on it. Should it be stripped off, or can it be thoroughly cleaned and primed with a sealer?

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Scratch it with 320 and spray your sealer. For the undersides of hoods, I use a red scotchbrite pad.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Black Sheep said:
Scratch it with 320 and spray your sealer. For the undersides of hoods, I use a red scotchbrite pad.
========================================================================================================
Thanks man!
I appreciate your suggestion. I guess wearing a good pair of gloves is also in order for working underneath the hood. Many sharp, jagged edges around the frame work.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Steve,
If it isn't completely necessary to remove, I can try scuffing it and using urethane primer on it. I'm mainly concerned about the manufacturers primer not having enough tooth, and/ or causing the top coat not to stick.
I'll try an area with acetone. Whichever process isn't too much of a pain in the *ss is what I'll go with.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The reason I remove it is to check for little dents in the metal so I can use bondo if need be on the bare metal. That black covering does a good job hiding little dings..

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
This is underneath the hood, or the under side. The top side, I had pretty much buzzed off all the black primer. It was primed with urethane primer sealer. The under side is what I'm focused on now. I wouldn't want it to start peeling when I hit it with a top coat.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on the underside I wouldn't worry about it, it won't peel so as someone suggested just pass scotchbrite over it and the pass a cleaner over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor