Paint questions- help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Okay, so today my dad and I are talking about painting my car, and what all will have to be done. Currently my car is painted in rustoleum alkyd enamel primer over top of factory paint. My dad claims that we can paint over top of the rustoleum with a sealer primer, and then paint our base coat on top of that. I say he is wrong. I say that we have to (at minimum) sand the rustoleum off down to the old factory paint, then put our sealer primer on top of that. Who is right here?

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
remember 95% of paint is prep.you could be the best painter in the world ,but if it not prepped right it wont look good or last.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to try the sealer primer to see how it reacts with the paint. Personally I'd remove all the paint, paint weighs alot.

Nov 4, 2012
I'd love to take it to bare metal, but I don't have the means to do it. I don't have access to a big enough compressor to use a sand hopper and walnut shells and blast it off. Nor do I have the money to pay someone to do it for me, not to mention I hate paying other people to work on my car. That pretty much leaves me to a sander and a lot of sand paper.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did mine with aircraft stripper and it had a few coats of paint on it. It wasn't the easiest job but wasn't hard either as long as I stuck to it and a few beer sure helped.

and if you need any help when it comes to paint this forum was great. They have pros on the forum and they don't mind helping anyone. But expect sh*t if you mention any shortcuts

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
i have never used chemical strippers but have been told you got to be 100% sure you remove all residue.have heard of guys not cleaning properly and have bad reactions with their paint.

tk76

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2013
Town of Tonawanda,NY
First if you don't have a compressor to at least operate a DA you won't have enough consistant air pressure to operate a gun. Second you shouldn't paint over the rustolem. Always take off as many layers as you can. Third read all that you can before hand and take your time, practice first on a scrape fender.
I have done paint jobs for well under $500.00 that have lasted. It's all in prep, and compatible products.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
You could haul the hood or trunk lid off the car and try the sealer/primer over it to see how it reacts like pontiacgp mentioned. I would be worried that the sealer will have a bad reaction to the alkyd and create a big mess for you, that would end up in you having to strip the entire car. If it was me I would sand all the primer off the car and if the original paint is in decent shape, not laquer checked and cracked, then just use the sealer/primer and shoot paint over that.
If it is checked and cracked then you will have to strip it all off because you will never get rid of it no matter how many coats you put on. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

That site pontiacgp posted is full of information and has quite a few good painters on there.

Chris

rick80

n00b
Jan 23, 2013
take the rustoleum off to the paint than use the sealer. the sealer might react with the rustoleum I leand the hard way it happened to me after the sealer use a y2k primer filler put 3 to 4 coats than wet sand with 400 grit and make it smooth.I hope this helps you out.good luck. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor