PCV VALVE ON 350 ENGINE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2009
I have a 1963 impala with a 350 small block in it. I wanted to make the motor look stock so what I did was buy some stock 283 valve covers and stock air filter housing to make it look up to date with the car. The only porblem is the 1963 impala 283 valve covers did'nt have the pcv valve hole. Does any one know what I can do with that pcv valve. Do I need it or can I put it some where else. Thanks!

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
could always drill a hole in thevalve cover.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Been a long time since I had my '63 and '64 Impalas, so I'm stretching my feeble memory. Older manifolds had an oil fill tube with a breather cap at the front of the manifold. At the rear of the manifold was a a vent tube, routed downward around the bellhousing. I think the term was "road draft tube". In '64, if memory serves, a PCV valve replaced the vent hose in the rear port. Our first emission control! Possibly you might find a better description in one of the old Corvette forums.

Bill

Attachments

• monte.jpg
    monte.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 226

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
billyjack said:
Been a long time since I had my '63 and '64 Impalas, so I'm stretching my feeble memory. Older manifolds had an oil fill tube with a breather cap at the front of the manifold. At the rear of the manifold was a a vent tube, routed downward around the bellhousing. I think the term was "road draft tube". In '64, if memory serves, a PCV valve replaced the vent hose in the rear port. Our first emission control! Possibly you might find a better description in one of the old Corvette forums.

Bill

Yup that's right.

I think your best bet is to just get a set of valve covers with the PCV hole. Might not look 100% stock. But then again 90% of the people out there won't notice it anyway. :D

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
no reason you couldn't drill the valve cover and install a baffle.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
20 years ago we tried a "negative pressure" crankcase system on our injected, wet-sump sprint car motor. According to Chevy drag race legend Bill"Grumpy" Jenkins, crankcase vacuum was worth a few ponies. We welded threaded bungs in the header collectors, installed air emission check valves, and ran hoses to two spouts on the oil fill tube at the front of the manifold. Worked too well! When we had to brake hard entering a corner, the oil would move to the front of the engine, get sucked in the headers, and we'd get black flagged for all the smoke. We had to go back to the conventional setup with a common tube between both valve covers and a pair of K&N breather filters. If you don't try, you'll never know. After all, if they had given up after WD-39, we'd never have WD-40. Seriously, I do like the idea of clean, unblemished valve covers. I'd have to give some serious consideration to drilling the manifold for an intake vent and PCV grommet, as long as there's an adequate baffle under the PCV valve.

Bill

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I did this in a '67 El Camino with a 305. I used the 283 "Chevrolet" script valve covers and the stock style intake with the fill tube at the front. The filler tube cap was vented. Small journal engines (pre '68) have a hole at the rear of the block for the draft tube and a std valve cover PCV grommet fits perfectly. On your 350 that hole is missing. I solved this by using a screw-in style PCV like my '66 327 used. They were normally screwed into a bung in the filler tube (this may be California only). I drilled and tapped through the top of the intake directly into the lifter valley area - not into an intake runner. The hole was just forward of the distributor. If I remember correctly it was 3/8" pipe thread. I ran the hose to a vacuum source at the rear of the carb. At first glance it looked completely stock.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
pvc

i think they made a oil filler with the pvc that was screwed into it....jesse

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My '66 El Camino's 327 had that. It had a full A.I.R system too. That's why I thought it was Cali model. The '67 didn't have it though and it was correct for a '67 283 according to casting numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor