Performance Parts Require High Idle ? 305 H.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
look around on the linkage, drivers and passenger sides. there should be a lever or cam with steps that would allow the throttle blades to be open further. you may need to hold the choke closed while opening and closing the throttle blade. this will usually set the throttle blades on the fast idle cam or step. there is a screw that allows fast idle adjustment like the base idle has.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
do you still have the emission label on the radiator support, fan shroud area? it will tell you your base timing, base idle and fast idle info.
No sticker on the fan shroud, and from what I was told, this isn't the original motor... I found 1984 Monte Carlo emissions sticker online, but say base timing is 6° BTDC and RPM @500, but I been working on the timing for about 2 weeks and some change, and just finished it correctly today... put the harmonic balancer on the 0° on the timing mark on the compression stroke, adjusted the oil pump shaft with an 18" flat tip screwdriver, and successfully dropped the distributor in flush with the Intake manifold/engine block with the rotor pointing at Cylinder #1... Timing shouldn't be an issue I would assume...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Stock settings are for stock setups, you changed everything around so you will need to experiment to find the settings the engine likes now with all the changes. With a generic aftermarket carb and a single plane your drivabilty is going to take a hit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The fast idle on the edelbrock is on the drivers side. Look at the choke blade (as long as were here is should be open .100" when fully closed) in the center of it is a linkage that goes to a shaft between the primary and secondaries. That shaft goes from the choke linkage on the passenger side and a lever on the drivers side.

The lever on the drivers side is connected to a linkage that goes to the fast idle cam. The fast idle screw is on the the inside of the throttle linkage where the cable or linkage connects it is on the bottom pointing up at a slight angle the threaded end contacts the fast idle cam. When adjusting the speed it is supposed to be on the 2nd step. turn the cam all the way counter clockwise and then move the cam clockwise while it contacts the screw and you can feel it fall off the 1st step.

The fast idle screw is a PITA to get to.

As long as you are here make sure all the choke and fast idle linkage is free and working properly.

If you need a pic I can take one tomorrow when it is light, I have a used 1406 on the shelf.

Last edited:

William

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 29, 2016
Reading the engine description, the first thing that jumped out at me was the single plane intake. A single plane intake is a good choice if you have a dedicated race engine that lives at high rpm, or a modified, big-cubic-inch engine.

305's are definitely not a good choice for any kind of serious, high performance and do not need a single plane intake.

Switch out that single plane manifold and install a basic dual plane manifold. Don't buy a new one. Check FB, C-list, and your local Chevy friends for a used one. They do not wear out. Just check the threads to make sure some monkey didn't strip them out tightening some accesory bolt. Don't bother with a high-rise dual plane or an air gap dual plane. You just don't need it. Most folks like aluminum intakes, but an OEM cast iron one will work just fine for your application.

By going from the single plane to dual plane, it should bring down your rpms, make your engine run smoother, and basically fix your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor