Perhaps it was RARE!?!? 1985 Oldsmobile H/O concept ??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Joe, your car is the nicest version of the 88 H/O I have seen. I almost bought a kit 15 years back and it came with that same card to send in. I could have got it for around $300 on eBay.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How did I miss this thread? Mike M. (88hurstolds) would be considered the expert in all things '88 H/O (amd commemorative) as well as Angelo Valenti for the FE3-X history (haven't seen him around here in a long time). Too bad that history is being lost on the masses.

I put my car together so late in the game that there was no way for me to get a dash plaque and get it numbered and registered in the database. I still have the card that's supposed to be sent in to get those items!!

Ah well, I still love the car though. Almost sold it to Mike M. back a few years ago! Probably will never sell it now though...
Cool thread, nice to see interest in this piece of Olds history.
Nobody wants your piece of crap anyway. Good thing you want to keep it.

Hahaha! Just kidding. Love your car. IMO, it's hard to make one of those kits actually look good and you managed to pull it off. Like you could make a brick-ish looking car look more like a brick....Actually, I kept a complete kit for several years looking for just the right 88 to put it on. It came with an extra stripe kit, too. I took the "don't look too hard for it and it may just end up in your lap" approach. Never did find the right one, though. So years later, I sold the kit to someone in Columbia, SC but he only wanted one stripe kit (eventually I sold that extra stripe kit to Mike IIRC). That friggin' box it came in was huge. At one point I had 2 kits although I didn't keep the one for very long. I fell into one looking for something else and I couldn't pass up the kit for the price it was advertised. One of the things I felt was ultra-cheezy was the hood chrome and bullnose emblem delete "fill in" pieces. They were simply peel and stick pieces of flat plastic half-azzed trimmed to fit in the channel, sorta. If you wanted that look you'd be better off filling them in by other means.

I can't agree more that 88hurstolds and Angelo could espouse more history for these type of cars.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Joe, your car is the nicest version of the 88 H/O I have seen. I almost bought a kit 15 years back and it came with that same card to send in. I could have got it for around $300 on eBay.

Thanks man! I got mine in 2003 from a friend of a friend outside southeast Dayton, Ohio (Waynesville). Drove there on a Friday after work from Concord, New Hampshire and drove back on Sunday and went to work on Monday morning. I still have the original stripe kit and those aforementioned cheapass stickers for emblems. My painter (also in Ohio in the same friend circle) painted the gold and black stripes rather than use the tape striping. He also did the black on the hood and decklid to harken back to the '68 H/O. White stripe outlined the black like the '68 H/O. Hood scoop is an FE3-X copy as Angelo had at least three of them made. I lowered the car, put a 455 in, and swapped the rear for an 8.5" 3.73:1 posi unit. Mine is my version of what a true 20th Anniversary car should have been from Olds.

As far as rarity, not sure the actual numbers of cars that really have kits on them nowadays. Mike M. will probably know.

Nobody wants your piece of crap anyway. Good thing you want to keep it.

Haha, I think Mike M. was the only serious interest. I have renewed interest in the car again and want to make it to an H/OCA meet sometime soon (probably not this year). Gonna get on putting the EFI on it and finishing some interior details...

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.