Phenolic carb spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So I need to keep my summit carb from getting so hot from what I understand it’s practically the same as a Holley 4010.

Problem is the Edelbrock 7111 intake makes my hood clearance almost nothing.

So assuming I can fit a .5 inch phenolic spacer whether it be plastic or wood could that make a noticeable difference in temperature or would it have to be something thicker?

Also from what ive read a true dual plane like the 7111 should have a 4 hole rather than open spacer considering I don’t need to create the extra plenum volume an open spacer would create and to help limit turbulence?

That said I’ve seen it mentioned some with dual planes intentionally cut the wall between the planes partially or put an open spacer on to help out if they have a weak cylinder or something along those lines?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Before I went back to using a Q-jet, I was running a Holley 1850 600 cfm carb using a 4-hole 1" phenolic spacer. I thought it was more responsive, plus the spacer helps as far as carb heat soak, which I never had a problem with.
Whether you use phenolic or wood, I think you would find either one beneficial. An aluminum adapter/ spacer, I feel, would retain heat.

Awhile back I had an aluminum dual plane Poston (Buick) 350 manifold that came with the center divider cut down from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My favorite phenolic spacers are made by Jomar, they are a laminate so they are strong and can be machined.
Plastic spacers do not work as well and actual wood spacers are not as strong and don't machine well and just forget using one out of aluminum.
I have been to his shop a few times to pick these up and both my Monte and Regal are running them.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Use the 1/4” thick Edelbrock black gasket.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've had good luck with Mr. Gasket's p/n 86B for the Q-jet on the gone '72 & the 4175 on the old 305. It's really a sandwich of gaskets & thin aluminum spacers .5" thick. Never had any heat related issues with either carb.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I'll say it again- run a return line.

To run a return I’d need what a 3 line sender a hardline to run front to back and how would I mount it to the carb? Would a return help with anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor