Pilot bushing for factory 4 speed

Diablo1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2023
Hello everyone I’m new to this and am very impressed with everything associated with this! Here’s what I got going on… I have a 1979 GMC CABALLERO DIABLO, 350ci TH350 trans. I have everything to do a correct factory 4 speed swap in the Diablo. I just had a couple questions…

First, would anybody know what size pilot bushing/bearing I’ll need for the back of the crank?

Second, would anybody know if Hurst web site has the correct Hurst shifter shaft that would have come in the factory 4 speed G bodys?

Iv also heard that 1978 was the only year the Hurst shifter was factory but I believe it’s the same for all… thanks in advance for any advice much appreciated!

Brent… C2FAD992-4652-4386-A791-723C1A50D3F5.jpeg 1C5A5D23-0D1A-4DD1-980D-35590C8D4B3B.jpeg

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hello everyone I’m new to this and am very impressed with everything associated with this! Here’s what I got going on… I have a 1979 GMC CABALLERO DIABLO, 350ci TH350 trans. I have everything to do a correct factory 4 speed swap in the Diablo. I just had a couple questions…

First, would anybody know what size pilot bushing/bearing I’ll need for the back of the crank?

Second, would anybody know if Hurst web site has the correct Hurst shifter shaft that would have come in the factory 4 speed G bodys?

Iv also heard that 1978 was the only year the Hurst shifter was factory but I believe it’s the same for all… thanks in advance for any advice much appreciated!

Brent… View attachment 226272 View attachment 226270
Just look up the pilot bushing for a Chevy V8/90 deg V6/straight 6. As for the shifter lever Hurst won't have the "bayonet" style the OE is.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

Iv also heard that 1978 was the only year the Hurst shifter was factory but I believe it’s the same for all…
I'll add a correction as I took another look at the picture of the shifter as it's an aftermarket Comp Plus not the OE Hurst. Now look up '69 Camaro for the round stick. That's what I have on my Comp Plus. It's close to the OE ITM shifter's round stick. A note is the OE Hurst & ITM shifters are almost carbon copies of each other.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
19/32" ID, 1-3/32" OD, x 3/4" bushing.

GM calls it a bearing or bushing, but it's actually a bushing type. Part number 3752487. Or equivalent. Seems you can get these just about anywhere. Fits about a million applications. From 4 cylinders to 454s.

This place sells a roller bearing version of this for seemingly 16 bucks.

(for reference for you Oldsmobile guys, 65-72 used a gigantic ball bearing setup p/n 907321 and cranks had to be drilled for it. They just HAD to be different)

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
National PB656HD is the part number for the proper oilite bronze bushing.
Beware some of the bushings out there are not bronze but composite materials that are metallic. You don't want to use something that a magnet will stick to.

Diablo1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2023
This is all great advice and knowledge. Very happy that I joined the group. Thank you everybody for all the info!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is all great advice and knowledge. Very happy that I joined the group. Thank you everybody for all the info!
Quit typing and start wrenching. Now you know everything. Get started!

Just kidding. Welcome! Nice ride.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor