Radiator Core Support Bushings

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I had to swap out the core support on my '78 Bu.

I know they're somewhat universal between the models but there are differences on what's required to make things work because of height differences. The core support I got needs to be spaced up to align w/the fenders. Is this just a matter of ordering different core support bushing for say a Gran Prix/Olds/Buick model? Or is it usually making a spacer to set the height correctly w/the Malibu bushings?

Those that have been there/done that, let me know your thoughts please.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Do you still have the spacer cups that might of been originally used? Those do take up some space to lessen the need for excessive spacers/washers.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Do you still have the spacer cups that might of been originally used? Those do take up some space to lessen the need for excessive spacers/washers.
I didn't toss anything but also didn't see anything that would be a spacer. I'll have look through those parts again.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I looked for all the pieces of the OE/OG core support bushings. Not sure of any 'spacer' that was in there other than what was stacked together for the assembly.

For the record, I'm actually using the original parts under the new/different core support (just to set the height). This is where/when I noted the gap @ the top of the core support to the fenders. If/when I space the core support up ~.750", things are where it 'looks' correct as far as installing/tightening hardware. This is what had me wondering if the different models might possibly utilize different core-support bushing set-ups vs. one/the same p/n for all g-body cars.

Reactions: 1 users

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I looked for all the pieces of the OE/OG core support bushings. Not sure of any 'spacer' that was in there other than what was stacked together for the assembly.

For the record, I'm actually using the original parts under the new/different core support (just to set the height). This is where/when I noted the gap @ the top of the core support to the fenders. If/when I space the core support up ~.750", things are where it 'looks' correct as far as installing/tightening hardware. This is what had me wondering if the different models might possibly utilize different core-support bushing set-ups vs. one/the same p/n for all g-body cars.

Out of curiosity, is the car on the ground or a lift/jackstands?

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Out of curiosity, is the car on the ground or a lift/jackstands?
On the ground w/full weight on the chassis when I originally swapped core supports. it recently had the drivetrain plucked & I'm working on things up front which brought it back onto my 'what to do here' list.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i had a similar problem years back,i picked up a support @a swap meet and had to shim it around 3/4" and that was along side a set of o.e core support bushings.no idea why.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
i had a similar problem years back,i picked up a support @a swap meet and had to shim it around 3/4" and that was along side a set of o.e core support bushings.no idea why.
I have my tweaked OE unit. They def have different heights top-to-bottom where the mounting bushings are positioned.
Headlight openings are slightly different as well.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I have my tweaked OE unit. They def have different heights top-to-bottom where the mounting bushings are positioned.
Headlight openings are slightly different as well.

When I put my 78 header panel on the 84 core support noticed some differences. I have the old one still. I'll have measure an see.

I remember having to clearance around the headlight bucket to get it to sit back right.

My 84 core support was originally a choo choo, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I know different car, but my 70 from the factory has washers under the core support to set the height that was needed and then used the bushings.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor