Pink Wire ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
The run is not being caused by the idle speed. The idle speed is a symptom that something else is wrong. Wouldn't it make more sense to find the source of the problem and fix that??

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
How do you like that Chryco master with manual brakes?

It works pretty good,probably the best the brakes have worked in many years.
She's getting to be a bit of a b*st*rd child,Ford 9 inch rearend and a K Car master cylinder LOL
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I am going to copy and paste some info I found on run on;
" This is common on engines that run way too rich or have oil burning problems. Dieseling is a common problem with high compression / high performance engines, especially in warm weather or when the engine is hot.
Another big cause for engine run-on is having the idle set too high."
Mine is a bit of an oil burner,I think this is from the 4.375 inch stroker crank and the windage it creates.I know that on the dyno too much oil really dropped the HP at high RPM's.
And at almost 11.0:1 compression and our best 91 octane probably makes matters worse.
The cam has lots of overlap which also help to create a rich running engine.
So in order to have it idle I need to turn up the idle speed,which leaves the throttle blades open enough to cause run on when shut off.If I turn the idle speed down so it shuts off,it dosent idle very good.
This brings me to putting a solenoid on the carb so I can have it idle and shut off.
I guess that I could have built a tamer engine which wouldn't have this problem,but too late for that LOL
And then it wouldn't be as much fun...
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
So it kinda sounds like I shouldn't use the pink wire for my solenoid as it is the main power source for the distributor and I don't want to have any thing happen to that.
There is no AC solenoid on the Demon carb,but I wonder if there is a choke wire somewhere in the harness I showed.
I will be having another look for a key on power source this morning.
Thanks for all the help so far.
Guy

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Before you use the choke wire check to see where it runs

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The pink wire is your best source of ignition power; it comes straight off the key.

As stated, there is a different reason for the run on. The solenoid probably won't help.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I got the solenoid and bracket installed and ran a fused power wire to an un-used terminal in the fuse box,now it idles and shuts off.
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

The solenoid bracket took almost all day yesterday,I had to bend and twist it,as well as cut and grind it to get it in the right place.
The power wire is the big red one in the first picture.
Looking at it now,I don't really like where I ran the power wire through the firewall,so I will fix that ASAP.
Guy

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I got the solenoid and bracket installed and ran a fused power wire to an un-used terminal in the fuse box,now it idles and shuts off.
View attachment 91683 View attachment 91684 View attachment 91685 View attachment 91686 View attachment 91687 View attachment 91688
The solenoid bracket took almost all day yesterday,I had to bend and twist it,as well as cut and grind it to get it in the right place.
The power wire is the big red one in the first picture.
Looking at it now,I don't really like where I ran the power wire through the firewall,so I will fix that ASAP.
Guy

Nice work Guy except the fuse needs to be at the fuse block so you protect the entire wire
By the way I will be in Nova Scotia next week

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think all of this could have been avoided just by installing a bigger big block.;)

• Agree

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Nice work Guy except the fuse needs to be at the fuse block so you protect the entire wire
By the way I will be in Nova Scotia next week

Thanks for the compliment.
For now the fuse will have to stay where it is,my patience level has been reached.
So you are coming to Nova Scotia next week,whereabouts are you going to be ??
Tell me you are going to the car show in Yarmouth LOL
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor