Pinout for Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Farrell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2016
Carleton Place, Ontario
would anyone happen to have the pin out for the standard idiot light + fuel gauge cluster (1987 Grand Prix)
I believe I have a short somewhere ether in the cluster or in the harness

any help would be appreciated

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Here is a pdf of a blurry printout of the pinouts for both clusters. I apologize that it isn't crystal clear. However, the components/numbers on the left are listed in the order you find them on the connectors, going clockwise starting at the top left.

Please note: this info is what I found for my 1980 GP, and it was completely accurate. You may want to test a few wires just to make sure it still applies to you (through I'm betting it will).

Attachments

• pinouts.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 224

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you remove the gauge cluster do you still blow the fuse

instead of starting a new thread you should continue the one you started regarding this problem....it would be easier for others who didn't read your other thread

Michael Farrell

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2016
Carleton Place, Ontario
apologies on that one, and that is exactly what I'm seeing now, when the cluster is removed IGN 1 and Gauges fuse no longer blow but I'm not sure if that means my gauge cluster is the suspect of my short?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the fuse blows with the gauge installed but it doesn't when gauges removed then it is the gauges. Take a look at the circuit board on the back of the cluster to see if there is anything burnt.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it is fried and you want to change your cluster to gauges I have the GP gauges complete. You'd just need to change the sender for the temp and oil......

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
if the fuse blows with the gauge installed but it doesn't when gauges removed then it is the gauges. Take a look at the circuit board on the back of the cluster to see if there is anything burnt.

I would go a step further. With the cluster sitting on your work bench, grab your multimeter and inspect each individual gauge and warning light. Does one of them have continuity across the inputs when it should not, for example? If so, there is your problem.

(Full disclosure: I did not see the "other thread" mentioned above. I hope I'm not being redundant.)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would go a step further. With the cluster sitting on your work bench, grab your multimeter and inspect each individual gauge and warning light. Does one of them have continuity across the inputs when it should not, for example? If so, there is your problem.

(Full disclosure: I did not see the "other thread" mentioned above. I hope I'm not being redundant.)

that's a good suggestion....and

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/1987-grand-prix-warning-gauge-cluster-ignition.60863/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor