Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Mad Dog used to make direct fit headers for this. They pulled Pontiac from their offerings about a year ago. Maybe ask if they have any plans to make them again? http://maddogheaders.net/ Otherwise, I think ‘64-‘67 GTO headers are the closest to fitting. I believe one tube on the passenger side migh have to be modified just a little bit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Go with manifolds, I bought a set of custom made headers for a 400 Pontiac for a 78 gp. They were about $1000 to have made ad I still had to modify them to fit. Go with the ram air style manifold and they flow almost as good as headers. Next time that is what I am doing.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
From what I understand Ram Air manifolds from 68-72 A body Pontiac fit a Gbody well and are about equal to shorty headers power wise and dont give up a whole lot over full length 4 tubes other than weight.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am a Pontiac guy but I voted for the SBC. Only because I think it would be more cost effective and I prefer motor brand to car brand matches. A 7004R would need an adapter on anything but the Chevy. But if you do go with the Pontiac I know you will embarrass a lot of other cars that think G-bodies are slow. You will need '78-'81 G-body Pontiac 301 motor brackets to get it where it will sit nicely. The exhaust bolt pattern is the same on all Pontiac V-8's although the 301 has an additional 3rd bolt on the center flange. No headers exist but as stated the cast iron Ram Air exhausts are less expensive and flow just as good while outlasting headers hands down. Stainless steel head pipes are available for the RA manifolds too. A Turbo-400 would be a better choice and then you could run decent highway gears like 3:08 or 3:23. The 400 will pull like an ox.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had a 74 GP with a 400 with the 400 transmission and 2.73 gears. After a cam and head change I was clocked at 146 mph. Luckily the cop in Quebec was driving a K car so by the time he showed up at the bar I was working at I was already working the door. Those Pontiac motors can really pull when you let them breath.

Reactions: 3 users

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Go with the repro RamAir manifolds from Ram Air Restoration Enterprises along with their headpipes. Get the model for the 64-67 GTO as it has a 3 bolt flange for the headpipe instead of 2 like the ones for 68-72's. Both will fit but the seal is better. That's what I have on my 81 Lemans and they fit perfect with no dicking around. Bonnewagon covered the rest just fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I voted for the poncho. Put it in, paint it chevy orange, and watch guys at car shows scratch their heads, and the few that know will give you "the look". It's a hoot and a half.

Reactions: 2 users

Coolio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
Mad Dog used to make direct fit headers for this. They pulled Pontiac from their offerings about a year ago. Maybe ask if they have any plans to make them again? http://maddogheaders.net/ Otherwise, I think ‘64-‘67 GTO headers are the closest to fitting. I believe one tube on the passenger side migh have to be modified just a little bit.
I contacted maddogheaders about a week ago and they said that those are unavailable. I'll look in the GTO headers

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The '73 to '77 A body, '70 to '79 F body, and our G-body cars all have very similar front suspensions with the exhaust dumping in the same location. I agree the 3 bolt flange RA manifolds are the best choice. A 400 weighs a lot so better springs will be needed too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor