Pontiac 455 from derby car = bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
havn't you left yet?... :mrgreen:

I've been on this earth close to 6 decades and I still put on about 60,000 a year... 8)

and no it's not because I get lost cause I'm so old. :rofl:

We have it all planned out for Thursday :wink:
Besides, I may have to indulge in some adult beverages after work tonight 😀

Are you planning on using the motor as is? I would at least plan on a re-ring/bearings, valve job, cam/lifters and gaskets. Then you know you're starting with a clean slate and it's not going to have to come back out until you want it to. Maybe upgrade to those 6X heads at that time too. That G/P looks too nice to just toss a 30+ year old motor into. I've never torn down a old Pontiac motor that didn't have at least a couple bad cam lobes.

tdvick said:
Are you planning on using the motor as is? I would at least plan on a re-ring/bearings, valve job, cam/lifters and gaskets. Then you know you're starting with a clean slate and it's not going to have to come back out until you want it to. Maybe upgrade to those 6X heads at that time too. That G/P looks too nice to just toss a 30+ year old motor into. I've never torn down a old Pontiac motor that didn't have at least a couple bad cam lobes.

I'm definitely going to open it up and see what I'm working with first. My concern about it being a demo engine was the overheating and being revved to the moon in the mud, not so much running it as is. I just didn't want to shell out the money for something that had been thrashed too badly and come to find out it was junk.

I'm weighing whether I want to step up to the smaller chambered 6X-4 heads for the compression bump or not. I'm still up in the air on cam selection too. I don't want to go overboard because I really only need a reliable street engine with lots o' torque. As with anything else, this can get expensive fast if I don't set some limits on what I want to do.

What can I add that hasn't been said allready? Oh yeah. ANY motor is a crapshoot. I've opened plenty that ran perfect and had a cracked main saddle or wiped bearings. You never know. That said, if they are so rare by you I would go and check it out at least, you can say no if it's obviously shot. Is it still in the car? That would be perfect as you could hear it run. Even if it's out you can bring a battery and a gas can, fuel line, and jumper wire to hot wire it and start it. Loud, yes, but you will know if it's broke at least. What's it take, coupla hours to remove? I can see you and Dad driving home singing "Little GTO" all the way.

I got a couple 455z but you are kinda far away.

shotgun said:
I got a couple 455z but you are kinda far away.

Go ahead, rub it in why don't cha! 🙂

Yeah you'd think they'd be a little easier to come by living in a major metropolitan area but they aren't. Then again, maybe all the years of smog testing ran the 455's out of town years ago.

Actually those motors were all in Land Yachts that got dumped when gas jumped up several "crisis" fabrications ago. Only die hard's kept driving them, and cheapolas that figured the gas savings didn't amortise the price of a new car. I got mine from a 76' GrandVille that a co-worker's Dad drove into the ground and I got first crack at it for $300. I let a 70' 455 Bonneville (free!) go to the crusher because it was dumped on me in Feb and I couldn't store it. Still regret that one.

Bonnewagon said:
Actually those motors were all in Land Yachts that got dumped when gas jumped up several "crisis" fabrications ago. Only die hard's kept driving them, and cheapolas that figured the gas savings didn't amortise the price of a new car. I got mine from a 76' GrandVille that a co-worker's Dad drove into the ground and I got first crack at it for $300. I let a 70' 455 Bonneville (free!) go to the crusher because it was dumped on me in Feb and I couldn't store it. Still regret that one.

That's part of the reason I scoped out a few demo derby sites. That's the kind of cars they use and sbc's are usually the powerplant of choice. Most of these guys have no use for BOP's and let them go for a song. I dread the thought of rumored $5/gal by 2012, but this hobby is one of the few things I enjoy and a little bs isn't going to change it. The 455 stays!

A "fun" car is different. You standing on the go pedal and smoking the tires for a block says, "I'm having fun and I don't care what gas costs!". An Escalade stuck in traffic just says "I'm a dork".

I finally talked to the guy selling the engine after a month of exchanging emails. So far the 455 looks promising. It's in a '76 wagon, 4bbl, comes with everything, including the trans, compressor, alt, etc.

The video should be here on Monday too. He said it fires right up and idles good. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it so I can get this project in gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor