Pontiac 455 from derby car = bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here's something to help you out in case you can't remember where everything goes! You might be like me and just toss everything into a big bucket and then sit there holding a beer and scratching your head trying to remember what went where. :shock:
illeng1_v8.jpg
illeng2_v8.jpg
illeng3_v8.jpg
illeng4_v8.jpg
illeng5_v8.jpg
illeng6_v8.jpg
illeng7_v8.jpg
illeng8_v8.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Here's something to help you out in case you can't remember where everything goes! You might be like me and just toss everything into a big bucket and then sit there holding a beer and scratching your head trying to remember what went where. :shock:

I'm sure those diagrams will come in useful. I'm actually pretty good about bagging things and labeling them....a good habit I retained when I was a helicopter mechanic for Uncle Sam. Beer does tend to inferfere sometimes! A bottle opener is one of the tools I take to the garage with me :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
those are great diagrams....the only picture bonne forgot to post was this...

beerphonebot.jpg

but if I think we can assume you'll never forget where it goes ... :mrgreen:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
but if I think we can assume you'll never forget where it goes ... :mrgreen:

Unlike bolts, it's too bad you never have any random beers left at the end of the day. :lol:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tdvick said:
I bet you'll find some bad cam lobes and and some lifters that are cupped on the bottoms too.

You sir are correct! All of the lifters were collapsed except one or two! They gave me one hell of a time coming out as well. The cam was shot too.

I pulled a couple of main caps and the bearings actually looked pretty good. Hardly even any signs of wear.

Next step is to go talk to a local machine shop and figure out where I want to go from here. There's forged rods/pistons and balancing in the plan. I need to see if it's going to be cheaper to keep my crank or just buy a complete rotating assembly that's already balanced. Best price I've found so far is between $1350-$1600 depending on if I want to go with lightweight parts or not.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
sorry if I missed it in the 6 pages but are you putting the 455 in your GP?

One of these days! What began as something that I wanted to take a few months looks like it's going to take a little longer now. I want to use good parts so the cost keeps adding up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it always takes longer and it always costs more.....and then when it's done there is something else we'll start on and go though it all over again... 8)

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
it always takes longer and it always costs more.....and then when it's done there is something else we'll start on and go though it all over again... 8)

Yep. A car is never done. I still need to put a good trans and rear end together. Then I still have paint to worry about. At least this time around I'm starting with a good foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor