Pontiac 455 from derby car = bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G-Body_Vet said:
pontiacgp said:
can he not send you a video with audio so you can hear it run?...or is there anyone on this forum that lives close so they can go check it out for you.

I just got an update from the guy and it actually wasn't used in a derby. There was some confusion in how he worded his last email. He is sending me a video and there's a funny story behind that too. Let's just say some technical difficulties resulted in a VHS-C tape being sent my way. Now I need to find an adapter and a VCR when it gets here.

if he's not willing to drop the price and is sending you the video I think you should be filling up the vehicle and heading his way to get the motor. If it was junk he wouldn't be sending you a video and he knows he has something worth more than it's weight so he's holding firm on the price. The other thing is if it's running you know you have a complete engine with all the accessories and their brackets

pontiacgp said:
G-Body_Vet said:
pontiacgp said:
can he not send you a video with audio so you can hear it run?...or is there anyone on this forum that lives close so they can go check it out for you.

I just got an update from the guy and it actually wasn't used in a derby. There was some confusion in how he worded his last email. He is sending me a video and there's a funny story behind that too. Let's just say some technical difficulties resulted in a VHS-C tape being sent my way. Now I need to find an adapter and a VCR when it gets here.

if he's not willing to drop the price and is sending you the video I think you should be filling up the vehicle and heading his way to get the motor. If it was junk he wouldn't be sending you a video and he knows he has something worth more than it's weight so he's holding firm on the price. The other thing is if it's running you know you have a complete engine with all the accessories and their brackets

I think the only reason he hasn't sold it yet is because it's been cold outside and he lives in BFE! The nice thing about it is it comes with a q-jet and HEI too. I'm looking at a 220 mile drive one way!

hit-the-road-jack-sleeve.jpg

I think bonnewagon goes further than that just for his beer. .. :mrgreen:

Those engines are hard to find and it'd be a b!tch if someone snagged that engine before you did.

Illinois has to be one of the most boring states to drive through too, well next to Kansas and Nebraska anyway :lol:
You know what Nebraska reminded me off once you get past Lincoln? Kuwait! Lots of flat and nothing for miles.

you havn't got any numbers off that engine do ya?.....you never know, depending on the year it might be either an HO or SD..

you should get XM or Serius for the ride, if you don't have it

pontiacgp said:
you havn't got any numbers off that engine do ya?.....you never know, depending on the year it might be either an HO or SD..

you should get XM or Serius for the ride, if you don't have it

No numbers yet. It's either a '75 or '76 and it's in a wagon.

I drove 22 hours, 1,300 miles straight throught to central Kansas and back this summer to pick up a complete '71 YS code 400 out of a G/P. A month later I found a '72 455 on the local craigslist... Well, I picked that up too. The 455 was a true demo car motor. It was in a '72 Bonneville and it was used in the demo. I didn't have any concern buying that motor. It turned over freely and I plan to rebuild it anyway. This guy was only asking $350 for this motor though. It also included the long tail transmission.

tdvick said:
I drove 22 hours, 1,300 miles straight throught to central Kansas and back this summer to pick up a complete '71 YS code 400 out of a G/P. A month later I found a '72 455 on the local craigslist... Well, I picked that up too. The 455 was a true demo car motor. It was in a '72 Bonneville and it was used in the demo. I didn't have any concern buying that motor. It turned over freely and I plan to rebuild it anyway. This guy was only asking $350 for this motor though. It also included the long tail transmission.

Now that's motivation! I was a road warrior in my 20's (several cross country trips from Cali to Illinois). I think city traffic has made me hate driving anymore....plus I'm impatient as hell. And to think how I'd just ride around and waste gas as a teenager!

havn't you left yet?... :mrgreen:

I've been on this earth close to 6 decades and I still put on about 60,000 a year... 8)

and no it's not because I get lost cause I'm so old. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor