Pontiac 455 from derby car = bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.classicalpontiac.com Check out this site. Click on "Q&A" then do a search for "performer rpm" both in the current topics and the archives ( enter "archive-all"). Tons of info about the rpm. Topic # 36959 is about a 76' 455.

I have great respect for Rocky and if he says so, he's probably right. He used to post a lot on Classical Pontiac before he started doing articles for HPP. For a dead stock set up it the EGR model is probably fine and unless you can score one cheap, I wouldn't bother seeking an earlier model unless you just hate the ugly mounting boss on the side. I once posted a topic about EGR vs non EGR and the concensis was that running EGR didn't make any difference at all on a stock motor. Not having it definitly limits the amount of timing advance you can run. But perception is everything (mind over matter?) I have a stock 77' EGR manifold on my TA and I had a stock 70' non-EGR manifold on my Malibu wagon. I felt the 70' just breathed a lot better especially at WOT. This was with the same Crane 278 cam and the TA had headers at the time vs logs on the wagon.

it doesn't seem to get mentioned but when you guys drop the 455 in do you box the frame and upgrade the factory welds?...just wondering with all that torque and how much the frame can twist if the frame is any concern...

I finally put the engine on a stand today and started breaking it down with the company of a 12 pack 😀

It was definitely a neglected, Kansas farm-car engine and a greeezy dirty pig! I would've liked to have pressure washed it first but I would've been chipping ice off of it too. The chain had plenty o' slack, a few fouled plugs, but at least there wasn't any sludge and the timing cover wasn't in bad shape. Tomorrow I'll get the intake and heads off then it's going to be headed to the machine shop when I have time. From what I've seen so far I'll be further ahead just doing a complete rebuild.

1978GrandPrix038.jpg

1978GrandPrix033.jpg

1978GrandPrix036.jpg

1978GrandPrix037.jpg

1978GrandPrix035.jpg

I bet you'll find some bad cam lobes and and some lifters that are cupped on the bottoms too. With all the hassel that you'll be going throught to swap your car over and install that engine, make sure it's all fresh and won't have to come back out for many years.

tdvick said:
I bet you'll find some bad cam lobes and and some lifters that are cupped on the bottoms too. With all the hassel that you'll be going throught to swap your car over and install that engine, make sure it's all fresh and won't have to come back out for many years.

We'll soon see. I'm going to get back out there today to get the heads and intake off. If I have time I'll pull the cam & lifters, maybe even the oil pan so I take take a look at the mains too.

That motor's in great shape! I've had some that I had to use a spoon to scoop out the sludge build up.

Bonnewagon said:
That motor's in great shape! I've had some that I had to use a spoon to scoop out the sludge build up.

I remember seeing a few engines that fell victim to the old Penzoil sludge back in the day. My dad had an '80 Malibu wagon
with a 267 and the upper oil passages were almost completely blocked.

As for this one, I'm interested in seeing what the main & rod bearings look like and it there's any cylinder ridge.

Got the intake and one of the heads off while I had a little time today. Not as bad as I thought for a 34 y/o engine.

1978GrandPrix046.jpg

1978GrandPrix050.jpg

1978GrandPrix047.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor