Pontiac and Saturn to be phased out

Status
Not open for further replies.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
There's alot of history and nostalgia wrapped around Pontiac, but Americans mostly turned their back on the brand. If we don't buy them, they quit making them. Alot of auto worker/dealer jobs are being lost...here, not in Korea or Japan.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
First I've heard of this... Probably good bets considering cutbacks had to be made, but I'd rather see Buick let go over Pontiac. Cadillac can handle the Buick crowd. Sounds like they will still keep Pontiac as a performance Chevy of some sort though... odd, but at least it doesn't completely die.

Too bad about Saturn too... they really started making some good looking vehicles in the last few years and they seem to be very reliable. Of all brands, I've honestly never heard anyone complain about a Saturn.

Funny how Saturn's biggest advantage may be what hurt their public perception - the plastic side panels. They got away from this in recent years, but seems people still generally look down on them.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sad, seeing that Saturns were mostly rebadged Vauxhalls and Opels. GM Europe makes better stuff than GM US. It sucks because I was really hoping to see a rebadged Vauxhall Insignia. As for GM's US produced models, I really can't think of one (other than the Vette and new Camaro, maybe the CTS-V or G-8 ) that I would look twice at. At least it's nice to see union workers losing their jobs. Less dues money to support the Democrats.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
This sucks!!! I really love how the G8's looked!

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
"At least it's nice to see union workers losing their jobs"

You're a real plum.

XbeasleyX

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Western New York
Unions at this point are obsolete, and are only hurting their respective job markets. I agree Buick should go before either Saturn or Pontiac.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Seeing how Saturn never made any money and the cars were junk that writing was on the wall. I read before the economic crap that Saturn was going to be dumped anyway if it didn't turn a profit.

but with Pontiac I don't think according the the GM Restructuring Plan that Pontiac is finished...

"Brands and Channels—The Company has committed to focus its resources primarily on its core brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. Of the remaining brands, Pontiac—which is part of the Buick-Pontiac-GMC retail channel—will be a highly focused niche brand."

If you read the Plan you'll see that the Holden cars in Australia are continuing with the Australian gov dumping money into the company. I'm thinking since the Holden product was always introduced as a Pontiac, Pontiac will basically be primarily a Holden product

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Why they killed Olds and saved Buick years ago is beyond me. Guess what the #1 selling nameplate is "Oldsmobile Cutlass".

First, Saturn cars are not junk. When I was with them the L models were being built on the Vectra platform same as Caddy, Saab and others.

They were/are a very good car for the money. As an x FOM for them, dealing with warrenty I know what I am talking about.

What screwed Saturn up was GM. Saturn had a great thing going and started to build brand loyalty like VW did with the Beetle.

Slowly the dealers became less "Saturn" and more "GM" due to pressure from other divisions.

GM also started to realign/pair brands years ago, I was at the meetings, but it was/is too little to late.

There was talk to having a few "GM" stores instead of fractured brand stores all over a city.

Maybe they will finally wise-up and do it (if they survive) instead of talking about it.

Unions had it's place and did good but I also feel the time for the Big Unions has passed.

The sweat shops are gone and OSHA ( thanks in part to the unions) is there to make sure workers are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor