Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Also make sure the AC clutch didn't lock up

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Alignment issue would be my guess. I have chased this for years in the monte but I dont start tossing belts ( denting hoods, overheating, smoking AC compressors etc until north of 5500 rip m s ). The Serp belt conversion for the Alternator from an 86 Up Gbody Cutlass or S10 really helped. It still leaves the PS and AC on a V groove belt. 267 or even a 305 should be fine with the v belts
All great info. Thanks again

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will. AC belt is off for now. Just in time for July. Thanks
The main thing is finding the cause of throwing your belts and fixing it so it doesn't happen again

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
happy fourth!! Snapped fan belt
One broke, One fell off
One nowhere to be found.

Heard a bit of fan belt squeal after I replaced the new hood.

Thinking….. i replaced the cowl fiberglass hood…… for the flat steal
created excessive heat. Or ? Cheap belts !

How can I avoid this issue. Stock 267
Small block A/C

Thanks guys
Sheet metal hoods hold heat in thus the increase of heat in the compartment. Thus..... belts stretch and come off the pulleys!!!!!!!! :)

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Sheet metal hoods hold heat in thus the increase of heat in the compartment. Thus..... belts stretch and come off the pulleys!!!!!!!! :)
Hi this is what I was thinking, but another said impossible.
I did drive the hell out of the car on the highway before it happened.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
With the belts off, check all the bearings. Also you have the standard small block Chevy layout with the pancake AC, and you're running headers. The bracket that goes to number one cylinder exhaust manifold will not work with the header tube. That bracket has to be modified to work with the tube. If that bracket is not put on your AC will vibrate and it will break the mount and it will break the bolts. You'll see it from the front it'll look like the bolts are in and it'll look like the bolts are torqued, but they're not they've been broken. Check your mounting bolts to make sure that that is not the case. Also the bracket on your power steering is supposed to be flush to the block it's in between a nut and then fasten down on the stud with another nut. If I remember correctly that bracket is supposed to be flush to the block that means your power steering unit is out of the alignment.

Reactions: 2 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
With the belts off, check all the bearings. Also you have the standard small block Chevy layout with the pancake AC, and you're running headers. The bracket that goes to number one cylinder exhaust manifold will not work with the header tube. That bracket has to be modified to work with the tube. If that bracket is not put on your AC will vibrate and it will break the mount and it will break the bolts. You'll see it from the front it'll look like the bolts are in and it'll look like the bolts are torqued, but they're not they've been broken. Check your mounting bolts to make sure that that is not the case. Also the bracket on your power steering is supposed to be flush to the block it's in between a nut and then fasten down on the stud with another nut. If I remember correctly that bracket is supposed to be flush to the block that means your power steering unit is out of the alignment.
Thanks for this info . I will work on this as soon as this holiday is over. And if I can ask you a question ? There have been some theories about my new steel hood and it’s contained heat as I just got rid of the 4” fiberglass cowl. Does the new flat hood play a role in the belts being thrown? Thanks Dez

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Thanks for this info . I will work on this as soon as this holiday is over. And if I can ask you a question ? There have been some theories about my new steel hood and it’s contained heat as I just got rid of the 4” fiberglass cowl. Does the new flat hood play a role in the belts being thrown? Thanks Dez
No. Belts just wear out. During the mid 90s Saudi Arabia came here and bought all the civilian and police taxi impala and Caprice they could. All had steel hoods. The reason Saudi did that and bought Chevy is because the Caprice and Impala (A Body 77-90) didn't break down in the desert heat like the Ford LTD Crown Vic. Chevys are good with heat..

When you do a burn out you hear the squeal and see the smoke... Softens the rubber. This is same thing going on with a stuck or dragging pulley.

Plus I hate the system you have, all the adjustment on the PS and it's in a spot where you just can't get belt properly adjusted and then squeals when you turn. It's a bad design.

On the shroud... You should have one, but if you're going electric fan, pull the stock clutch fan you won't need it and currently without the shroud it's not doing much anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor