POR 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
I'm considering coating the front frame rails of the Olds, since the engine is out and the doghouse is off. 83montess, when you did the frame rails, did you remove all the front end parts?

hy82e

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
A question for you guys with experience with por 15.
How well does it touch up?
While I have the frame out I'm going to be attempting some notching, trimming, and bracing. Most of it can get done before I coat it and get the body, and motor back in it, but there are a couple areas that I want to wait to be sure I clear everything. So if I coat it first can I come back and work on it then re-apply the 3 step process to those areas again?

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
hy82e said:
A question for you guys with experience with por 15.
How well does it touch up?
While I have the frame out I'm going to be attempting some notching, trimming, and bracing. Most of it can get done before I coat it and get the body, and motor back in it, but there are a couple areas that I want to wait to be sure I clear everything. So if I coat it first can I come back and work on it then re-apply the 3 step process to those areas again?

You can scuff and reapply, if just going over worn por15. If you have bare metal, then yes you have to go through all the steps on that area.

hy82e

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks carlola. welding would be involved so definitely bare metal. So por is resistant to its own prep chemicals? My concern was in cutting it in to the area and that the prep chemicals might strip the surrounding finish.

hy82e

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Anybody ever use Kbs coating products? Application process is similar to por, but claims to have moderate UV protection. Less expensive too. Another option for the OP.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
hy82e said:
Anybody ever use Kbs coating products? Application process is similar to por, but claims to have moderate UV protection. Less expensive too. Another option for the OP.

I used KBS a few years ago when I redid my steering linkage. New center link and idler arm, as well as older sway bar, pitman arm and tie rod ends all got done together. Applied by brush, it flows well. What I liked about it over POR15 was that you could blow on a mist coat of primer or paint while it was still tacky, then apply some finish coats later, where POR15 insists you use their proprietary primer. My Camino is a garage queen, so I can't comment with authority about durability, but it's holding up well after 3-4 years on parts that were bare iron or steel to start with.

Bill

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
hy82e said:
Thanks carlola. welding would be involved so definitely bare metal. So por is resistant to its own prep chemicals? My concern was in cutting it in to the area and that the prep chemicals might strip the surrounding finish.

Yes it will hold up to any kind of solvent and the metal prep. I painted my frame, had it boxed and reinforced after, then painted the new metal and overlapped the surrounding areas with no problems. Use the metal prep and such on the bare metal, and just take some sandpaper to the old POR around it. It says to use a high grit to scuff (400+) seems kinda fine to me, I think I used 220.

Though honestly, If I could go back in time, I would have used Epoxy primer and POR's Chassis Coat Black on top, that or Chassis saver. The POR15 rust preventative is just such a pain in the *ss, it's really designed to be applied to rust, clean metal can be a beach. I find it chips away inside bolt passage holes, even with perfect prep. While it's impervious to solvent and rusting, it doesn't hold up any better to abrasives and scratching as the other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor