Positive camber issue

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Do your upper arms have rod ends threaded into the arm? Shortening them will reduce positive camber.
Wow nice set up. Mine is just a conventional stamped control arm with a control arm shaft. What you would find on a stock g body. I believe the shafts can be flipped. This is what i was asking. I guess i will just try it and see what happens.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I thought you had UMI upper control arms. I misread your original post.

I do not know about those upper shafts. If it was a misplace sticker, I'd be suspicious too but wheel side casted in. I believe it's installed correctly.

Is everything else stock? Why are the bushings sticking out?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I thought you had UMI upper control arms. I misread your original post.

I do not know about those upper shafts. If it was a misplace sticker, I'd be suspicious too but wheel side casted in. I believe it's installed correctly.

Is everything else stock? Why are the bushings sticking out?
Yes, stock. The bushings - that is how they are on stock a arms. Just gonna flip the shafts and see what happens. To my
Belief they are offset for this very reason. To avoid using a huge stack of shims. Just gonna send it. Thanks

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Ok guys I want to get some opinions here. I do understand I am only spit balling but this is all for fun so here it is.

I am thinking i should aim for a little bit of a negative camber. Should help with handling. Thoughts?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Those shafts were origianlly sold for cars that had frame sag or collision damage. By design, they were offset to provide more camber without running out of stud. Flip them around.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Rockauto does not seem to carry the Moog 'Problem Solver' control arm shafts as of this morning. Ignore the middle of the shaft in the photo - look closely at the ends where the shaft offsets just before going into the bushing. This is what you want to pull the upper arms inboard, offering more option space for negative camber.
IMG_7644.jpeg

The goal here is when the control arms pivot upwards, this revised geometry somewhat corrects for the shorter upper arm tipping the top of the wheel outwards. A further solution is to use a taller upper ball joint so that the upper arm is already pivoted upwards at normal stance, so when everything shifts upward, the upper arm end is already moving inwards ahead of the motion of the longer lower control arm. Now, the GM geometry does not roll the tire over on the sidewall as much under heavy cornering.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Those shafts were origianlly sold for cars that had frame sag or collision damage. By design, they were offset to provide more camber without running out of stud. Flip them around.
Thank you. Just did. Looks perfect now. Still gotta road test

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Rockauto does not seem to carry the Moog 'Problem Solver' control arm shafts as of this morning. Ignore the middle of the shaft in the photo - look closely at the ends where the shaft offsets just before going into the bushing. This is what you want to pull the upper arms inboard, offering more option space for negative camber.
View attachment 222779

The goal here is when the control arms pivot upwards, this revised geometry somewhat corrects for the shorter upper arm tipping the top of the wheel outwards. A further solution is to use a taller upper ball joint so that the upper arm is already pivoted upwards at normal stance, so when everything shifts upward, the upper arm end is already moving inwards ahead of the motion of the longer lower control arm. Now, the GM geometry does not roll the tire over on the sidewall as much under heavy cornering.
Thanks yes the shafts have about 1/4” offset

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor