OLDS Possible olds 425 engine purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlassefi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2017
Again lots of misinformation here.
You can’t use the .921 roller lifter in a 425 block, the lifter bosses aren’t tall enough to accommodate the lifter.
Secondly, it won’t take 5k more to go from 400 to 500 hp. You can make up that difference with cylinder head, cam and Carb. If you want to strengthen the bottom end at that point you should be able to do that for a grand or so.
And finally, with all due respect to Bernard Mondello, my premium head package is significantly better than his both in price AND flow.
Note; I have a 45* roller available as well. It’s an excellent street grind that should get you where you want to be.
Thanks.

Reactions: 4 users

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
You can’t use the .921 roller lifter in a 425 block, the lifter bosses aren’t tall enough to accommodate the lifter.
Secondly, it won’t take 5k more to go from 400 to 500 hp. You can make up that difference with cylinder head, cam and Carb. If you want to strengthen the bottom end at that point you should be able to do that for a grand or so.
And finally, with all due respect to Bernard Mondello, my premium head package is significantly better than his both in price AND flow.
Note; I have a 45* roller available as well. It’s an excellent street grind that should get you where you want to be.
Thanks.
What’s your premium head package cost mark?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Thanks.

So what’s the cost to build 500hp 425 Olds that will stay together for thousands of miles and moderate strip time? Assuming that you are starting with a good core in hand.

Cutlassefi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2017
I'll try to answer the most recent questions;
My heads are $1950.00 plus the ride, any spring and flow around [email protected]. Bernards are $2275.00 with a roller spring and flow around 240 per his Ebay page.
In order to make 500 hp I'd use this head, a roller cam, Full roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, Mahle piston, Scat 7.00" rod and a QF 830 carb. If it's all done correctly you'll make at or near 500.
Cost for the above parts is around 5K, not even close to the 5k UPGRADE from a 400hp combo mentioned previously. From there it's machine work and hard parts, i.e. bearings, gaskets, etc.
Again if done right this combo should last a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlassefi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2017
I’ve made 540 hp on a 463 big block with this same combination. The Plenum on the performer intake is actually quite large and has plenty of capacity. Plus he’ll need hood clearance on the later model G body.
In addition if I was going to use any single plane at all I’d probably prefer the Holley Street dominator over the Torker. I’ve had better luck with that one.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Thread starter's said, "My intention would be for street driving, no strip or racing."
Now I don't want to be a bad person but :)•》he talked about pretty much using the stock parts with better cam and intake and now his options are up to either 500hp or 540hp. Hmm $5k in the engine, figure $3.5k in transmission/converter, $1.3k in headers/custom driveshaft, $2k ford 9" plus $1.5k for knick knacks. See how it adds up. But getting back to the subject, if the crankshaft is std/std then it is worth $200. I've sold 2 std/std to guys who did diesel builds with BTR because he'll only use a Virgin 425 crank.
It's a "slippery slope" with these Olds builds and if you're not careful it'll turn into a "cliff" without a bat suite. Hopefully the thread starter will chime in with his budget and final goals.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Got the engine and got it back home. It's a D block with block ID 389244 66 to 67 425. B heads as he posted and look ok but will need cleaned up of course.

Kennybill makes some great points that the build could quickly jump off a cliff for budget. Since this is a long term build for me I'm able to buy things as I go. I do not think I can drop 5k into this engine. Pistons look decent so if they can be reused I'm ok with that. I plan on reusing the crank and replacing the cam. Roller cams have a big price tag and I'm wondering if the benefits of the roller are worth the cost for a street only engine build. Intake will definately be replaced and if at all possible, I'd like to not run a cowl hood and keep my original hood. I understand this may compromise my intake selection and in turn the HP goals of this build. Anything over 400 HP for this build is great in my book. I'm open on the heads. Machining these heads as to buying better would be worth discussing. I appreciate all the info.

I never did mention a budget for this engine build and alot of options have been discussed. I think I will try to be as budget friendly as possible while trying g to hit the 400 + HP goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor