OLDS Possible olds 425 engine purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Amen on the heads. I've got a pair of Ga heads and a couple pairs of C heads. Ratter than the cost of prepping any of them, I'll be buying ProComps for my 425. Better than stock heads in every way and really pretty reasonable for price.
olds307 and 403 , who was it that was building out the bare Procomp castings with good parts? Was it Cutlassefi?
Yes, he gets Champion Race Heads out of Florida, flow around 255 cfm for his base head. As said Benard Mondello is another good one.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
If you just put it back stock except for pocket porting, cam, headers and intake/carb, and good fasteners, you'll make 400hp and not go broke doing it. All kidding aside, no matter how many times you run the numbers, getting to 500hp and making it last will cost another $5K over the 400hp engine. Yea, I know, everybody out there will tell you how to do it for less, but it's your money and it NEVER hits the original budget number. Stick to 400hp and enjoy it. That $200 deal that you just got can blow up out of proportion fast. That's why turbo LS engines are so popular, you can make 750+hp with a junkyard engine and eBay parts. When it blows, head back to the junkyard. You can't say the same for a 425 Olds.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I love this cam
20191011_211505.jpg

BTR Performance in Rochester, NY.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
If you just put it back stock except for pocket porting, cam, headers and intake/carb, and good fasteners, you'll make 400hp and not go broke doing it. All kidding aside, no matter how many times you run the numbers, getting to 500hp and making it last will cost another $5K over the 400hp engine. Yea, I know, everybody out there will tell you how to do it for less, but it's your money and it NEVER hits the original budget number. Stick to 400hp and enjoy it. That $200 deal that you just got can blow up out of proportion fast. That's why turbo LS engines are so popular, you can make 750+hp with a junkyard engine and eBay parts. When it blows, head back to the junkyard. You can't say the same for a 425 Olds.

You make some great points. The last thing I want to do is an LS. I already have one of those... in my 02 silverado and that's where its gonna stay. Maybe a goal of 400 a smidge more would be nice. 5K is alot to add budget wise for 100 hp.

I'm heading out tomorrow to look at the engine.

I love this cam
View attachment 135684
BTR Performance in Rochester, NY.

I'll check out that cam. Since this is a new build for me, recommendations are highly welcome.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You may run into. 921 lifters, and they get pricey, especially for rollers. Chadman on ROP had a 45⁰ roller cam for sale a while back; don't know if he still has it. He's in Ohio, so not too far.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
'66 non-Toro should be .842" lifters, so that's a plus.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
If I remember correctly, he said the engine came out of a 88 or 98. I'll check in with Chadman once I verify the casting number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor