Possible transmission problem HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
I Finally finished my 383 stroker swap, used the stock trans that was already in the vehicle. The trans worked perfectly fine before i ripped out the stock motor, Made absolutly no noise of any kind and didnt shake uncontrolably. I finished my swap and in the process i broke my kickdown cable and shifter cable, both have been replaced but ill explain... I broke in my engine for 20 minutes in park, everything was fine. After that i noticed if i reved my motor the car would shake uncontrollably, i would drive it around in the driveway but one day it wouldn't move, turns out the trans fluid was low so i added some and then i got it to move but didnt realize it was comming out of the kickdown cable hole, when i did notice that i replaced it and then no more leak i added a whole lot more trans fluid and now instead of shaking when i rev it its only noticable from the 2000rpm to 3000rpm range. i called the company and told them my problem and they responded with "the motors are computer balanced" so pretty much canceled out the motor... I took it for a drive and then noticed it makes like a sort of grinding noise/banging noise, kinda like an air plane turbine sorta deal. Thought it could be the exhaust but wouldn't it make more noise when your on the gas? The noise is actually louder when you get off of it. noise vanishes when speeds are less then 10mph.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD POSSIBLY CREATE THIS PROBLEM???? or atleast any suggestions :blam:

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Could be the torque converter or flexplate?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Does your flexplate match your engine? Some 383s are internally balanced and some are externally balanced. Most are externally balanced (like a 400) and require a weighted flexplate/flywheel. If you reused the one you had on your previous engine, if it wasn't a 383 or 400, that might be the cause of your vibration.
As for the noise; are you positive that your torque converter was seated all the way into the pump? I have seen cases when it's almost, but not quite, and it resulted in a noise like you described. It eventually caused a pump failure. When the transmission is bolted to the engine there should be 1/8"- 1/4" clearance.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
motor is computer balanced and flex plated is weighted, flex plate is matched to motor as i bought the motor which came with the flex plate.... the torque converter is might be the suspect and also is my drive shaft is rubbing on the brace while i drive. i dont know how to fix the problem in either of them

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
383 + stock trans = trans death. That shouldn't be a suprise to anyone.

Your driveshaft should not be touching anything. Whatever the cause, this misalignment is probably the cause of your vibration.

Are your mounts good and in the correct holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor