Possible wheel upgrade on an 85 Monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think on the rears of F-body 16 x 8 mesh wheels the B.S. is somewhere around 5.25" which is why people look for 4 fronts but there are aftermarket ones that are made for the GNX that fit correctly but pricey.
Longer studs are a good idea when adding any kind of spacer and I use ARP studs so I am adding strength along with length plus I upsize to 1/2" diameter.
If you go with a spacer I would stick with billet ones since I have seen people that have used cheap cast ones crack.
Baer makes some nice ones as do a few others.

Last edited:

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I think you are right and the others are 5.25" b/s. I do think the one he shows in the photo is a 4 1/2" but he needs to check all 4. The wheels I have are new aftermarket GNX wheels. I got them from Classic Industries when they had one of their sales. I had to wait about 3 or 4 months for them though. The were back-ordered.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
On my T-type, I have GTA "rear's" in the Rear of my car with 1" wheel adapters and run "rears" in the front with 12" brakes, which space the wheels out 3/8" over stock.

That picture is a GTA Front and should work fine all around, but may be tight up front with 255's without inner fender mods.

Matthew85SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2018
No, they aren't 6" b/s.

Looks like the same wheels I have just put on the El Camino I'm working on. Wheels are 16"X8" and are zero offset 4 1/2" b/s. I have 255/50 on the back. They fit but it's tight at the frame. Less than 1/4" clearance. I've got 225/55 on the front and they clear fine from what I can see so far.

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_60691.JPG

IMG_60772.JPG
Thanks. That's a smooth elky

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
How to tell the difference between front and back gtas are the lip. If it's a wide lip like In the pictures there fronts with 4inch backspace and will say it on the back of the hub of wheel. Back wheels will have a smaller lip and be 5.25inch backspace with the same markings on back of the hub. Four front gta wheels fit without any spacers. On my Malibu I run 275/55/16 drag radials on gta fronts with no rubbing. Then 225/50/16 fronts with gta fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor