Possibly moving to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
NC is the one state I was looking into. Ive lived on Long Island my whole life. Taxes are killing us. The housing market has gone crazy due to city people trying to get away from covid and the riots of this past summer. This house is a half mile away from me. Young couple bought it a little over a year ago but their commute time every day is over two hours so they decided to bail and move closer to their jobs. They listed the house at $589K and it sold for over $600K. The closing is in two weeks. This has been the trend here since the middle of the summer. The wife told me their taxes just jumped up to over $16K a year. Another reason to get out.
My little house was worth over $425K last year at this time. Now the realtor said I can get closer to $500. To be honest Im in shock.
Ive been looking at realtor.com for almost 3 years. My plan was to leave NY once and for all. I hate it here. Entitled pricks have moved into our little town and its never going to be the same. Progress ? I guess thats what they call it.
My big issue is my kids. My family is the most important thing I have. I want to be close to my kids. Ive been telling my son and his wife to go down there and find jobs. My wife and I will follow them down. Theyre both radiology/CT/MRI techs and they can work anywhere. Problem now is no matter where they go theyre going to be low on the seniority list. If Covid hits hard down there and theres cuts they would be the first to go. The hospitals here had cuts since the elective surgeries ceased as soon as covid hit. Looks like were staying for a bit longer. Sucks.

I was looking at Denver and Lincolnton. Anyone know anything about those areas ? I wanted to be rural.

Look at this house. Think NC is expensive ?

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I'm in Greensboro, kinda north/central part of the state. as far as the cutty is concerned, no worries about state inspections... anything past 1990 is exempt. taxes are kinda county by county, city by city as far as expensive goes... I'm just outside of city limits, and my property taxes are pretty low for 1500 sq ft on a 1/2 acre...

there's alot to do in NC as far as mountains and beaches go, so you really can't go wrong. I'm originally from Detroit, so I'm known as a damn yankee transplant, but here is home for us now, we've grown our roots, and plan to stay, at least til we retire.

if you get up my way, hit me up!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Had we not moved to Florida 30 yrs ago, we most likely would've ended up moving to North Carolina. My nephew who lived in Florida since he was a little boy, sold his house here in town and moved to Darin's town, Greensboro. Florida has become so commercial. Fortunately, we still live in a nice town, but the growth has been exponential over the past few years. Not quite the same lowkey place we moved to 30 yrs ago.

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
NC is the one state I was looking into. Ive lived on Long Island my whole life. Taxes are killing us. The housing market has gone crazy due to city people trying to get away from covid and the riots of this past summer. This house is a half mile away from me. Young couple bought it a little over a year ago but their commute time every day is over two hours so they decided to bail and move closer to their jobs. They listed the house at $589K and it sold for over $600K. The closing is in two weeks. This has been the trend here since the middle of the summer. The wife told me their taxes just jumped up to over $16K a year. Another reason to get out.
My little house was worth over $425K last year at this time. Now the realtor said I can get closer to $500. To be honest Im in shock.
Ive been looking at realtor.com for almost 3 years. My plan was to leave NY once and for all. I hate it here. Entitled pricks have moved into our little town and its never going to be the same. Progress ? I guess thats what they call it.
My big issue is my kids. My family is the most important thing I have. I want to be close to my kids. Ive been telling my son and his wife to go down there and find jobs. My wife and I will follow them down. Theyre both radiology/CT/MRI techs and they can work anywhere. Problem now is no matter where they go theyre going to be low on the seniority list. If Covid hits hard down there and theres cuts they would be the first to go. The hospitals here had cuts since the elective surgeries ceased as soon as covid hit. Looks like were staying for a bit longer. Sucks.

I was looking at Denver and Lincolnton. Anyone know anything about those areas ? I wanted to be rural.

In 2018 we moved to Lincoln park,NJ and my in-laws moved to New Bern,NC. We both bought comparable houses on similar plots. Theirs was half what we paid and taxes are like 1/4. We went down to visit them and I really liked it down there. They’re happy down there too. I have a cousin that lives I. The same town and she likes it their too. Unfortunately we have two young kids and really aren’t ready to make that type of a move.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Well it’s official. had a couple Interviews last week followed by some offer letters.
I will say it though when you make something in place and notice the pay scale is so different in a another.
I start Jan 4th at Ryder in Charlotte. Now if only had a place to live...:unsure:

Reactions: 2 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Well it’s official. had a couple Interviews last week followed by some offer letters.
I will say it’s tough when you make something in place and notice the pay scale is so different in a another.
I start Jan 4th at Ryder in Charlotte. Now if only had a place to live...:unsure:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

My Property Taxes in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas are about $16K, but that is for 5,500 Square feet with an 8 car garage and Texas has no Income tax. It all makes sense why so many New Yorkers are moving here. I can be at DFW airport in 11 minutes from my house and if people are working from home anyway they can live anywhere. Texas sucks though so everyone stay away.

My company is building a new facility near Asheville so I recently looked at house prices. It looks like the secret is out. House prices look like they have doubled since 2014 and everything that appeared to be a value to a Texan was "under contract".

It doesn't appear I will be moving back to the Carolina's any time soon.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm all for free and legal travel/migration as long as you leave the things you're running from where they are and don't bring them with you and make me have to deal with them, too.

• Wow
  • Haha

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm all for free and legal travel/migration as long as you leave the things you're running from where they are and don't bring them with you and make me have to deal with them, too.

When I moved to SC in the 1990's they had a LOT of really stupid laws, like a $3 inspection fee for cars. No shop would inspect you car for $3 so they expected you to slip them a $20. I was naive and went to 5 shops to get my car inspected and none would do it.

When I questioned locals how stupid this law was their first response was "why don't you go the hell back to Texas, Yankee". Inspections were removed about a year later when the state changed political parties, but the reason people all didn't move south 30 year ago was it was run by the same type of "steal all the money" politicians that run the north now, they just didn't have enough money to build kingdoms back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor