Post about your Small Chevy headers=likes/dislikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I know there's always discussions on headers and you could spend hours reading. I would like to know what headers you have on your SBC with AUTOMATIC trans, hows the fit, your dislikes, etc. Also long tubes versus short tubes. I will be lowering my car and am worried about ground clearance with long tubes. Not everyone can afford $700 set of headers (me included) so the inexpensive ones would be best on the feed back. I usually run shortys because of ground clearance but would love a bit more torque from long tubes. Also ball and socket versus the standard 3 bolt flange. I'm going to build a custom crossmember with thick walled round steel pipe pieces for exhaust passages so I can line that all up with the headers during mock up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I ran hooker 2451 long tubes for years. They suck installing, had to be dented in a couple spots, and plug changes were an absolute nightmare!

When i cleaned up the engine bay during resto-mode (still ongoing waiting to get painted), i switched over to hedman #68600 mid length pipes. I was able to install them from the topside, bolts still require a little fanangling, no denting necessary, and have the ball & socket flange. Hell, i think i kept 5 or 6 plugs in when bolting them up....i do use accel shorty plugs.

The hedmans came black, i had them coated, but baked the 1st bend on all tubes on 1st fireup a couple years back. That was a fuel supply issue (dumb me forgot to change 3 year old fuel filters on my A1000 pump :blam:!!!)

Btw, they are for sell now as I'm changing directions on my engine build. Pm me if interested.
20150315_152821.jpg
20150321_182724.jpg
20150321_182749.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have the discontinued Edelbrock TES headers which are direct fit for V8 Monte Carlos or any G body with a SBC. Good points are easy install, better power, and emission legal. Bad points, pita to change plugs, they get hot (especially if the engine is running lean), O2 sensor cools off faster, and plug wires cannot touch the headers,

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have been using Blackjack headers, which have been discontinued for years. I've been more than satisfied with the fit and construction. Plus I really like the O-ring designed flanges, which I find not all header manufacturers use.
I do use a shorty plug, too, for better access.
If I'm not mistaken, Dynamax had taken over Blackjack. Dynamax no longer makes headers but still makes mufflers.

Btw, I really like the ball flange design compared to the typical 3-bolt flange...no leakage issues like the old school flange.
If I were to go with new headers, it would either be Flowtech or Hedman.

Last edited:

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The Hedman shorty headers on my Aero Coupe have leaked since new. I tried shorty headers on my previous Malibu and never could get the collector to not leak.

I have had several sets of the Flowtech 11104 long tubes, new and used and have never had an issue. I believe that is what is on the T-top car you got from me.

I put new ones on my daily driver Malibu and never had any issues short of making an A/C spacer to make up the difference in the thickness of header versus manifold.

I have also ran the super comps that are slip tube and wrap around the frame. They require solid motor mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor