Power door lock wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have an '84 Monte Carlo that is equipped with power windows, but was not equipped with power door locks. I'd like to install the power locks, and I've found someone with parts. Does a car with power windows have the necessary wiring under the dash to add the power locks, or do you need a separate under dash wiring harness to add the power locks? Thanks in advance.

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I ran across these on another site earlier. i dont know if they will do you any good but just trying to help.

15jn.jpg

27oi.jpg

33dq.jpg

40dj.jpg

57oj.jpg

66gq.jpg

70mm.jpg

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your help. Not exactly what I'm looking for though. I'd like to know if you need a separate under dash wiring harness to retrofit power door locks on a G body which has power windows, or if there is already wiring in place under the dash to connect the door harness for the power windows & locks?

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
There must be some printed info out there somewhere. Or maybe on a GM web site. I would try taking off the door panel, and check to see if there is another electrical plug-in not being used. Might be for locks. .........mickey-d :lol:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
clean8485 said:
Thanks for your help. Not exactly what I'm looking for though. I'd like to know if you need a separate under dash wiring harness to retrofit power door locks on a G body which has power windows, or if there is already wiring in place under the dash to connect the door harness for the power windows & locks?

I am going through the same thing with my 78 El Camino rt now There is no wiring in my car power locks, I had to scavenge all the connectors from a donor car, The only thing I haven't been able to find is the connector for the door lock relay, that goes in the rt door pillar post .I have had to make all my harness myself, the small connectors for the door switches are almost impossible to get unless you find a unmolested donor. The hardest part is pulling five wires through the rubber wire harness covers in the door jamb. I found killer wiring schematics maliburacing.com

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
It seems to me that it would be simpler to just wire in your own relays. That's the way I did it in my 87 Cutlass years ago. I used the factory door lock switches as a ground throwing switch. If you hook up the input to ground, you will get a ground in either direction when you move the switch in either direction. The setup is exactly the same as adding in aftermarket door lock actuaters. Here's a link to a diagram, I used the actuators/reverse polarity diagram. Instead of the negative from an alarm, just use your door lock switches to provide the ground. If you add an alarm, all you have to do is add the negative wires to the same terminal. Just make sure to fuse your inputs.

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks all for your help. I've been doing some checking with some resources that I have here. I have an '86 Grand Prix with the factory power locks in it, and I've checked it out, comparing it to the Monte. I also have the 1984 GM electrical manual for the Monte, and the '82 & newer GM G body parts manual. According to the parts book, there is a single part number for a cross car wiring harness for both the power windows & locks, which is separate from the main cross car electrical harness. There is a relay behind the kick panel on the passenger's side which is for the power locks, with 2 connectors going into it. There is also a separate flat 6 wire electrical connector behind the kick panel, which leads into the door for the power locks. The power windows have a 3 wire electrical connector that goes into the door. I've checked behind the right side of the dash on the Monte, and there is no evidence of the 6 wire connector, or the connectors that go into the relay, which leads me to believe that I'm going to need some kind of cross car harness to make this work. If anyone has any other info, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
tc1959 said:
clean8485 said:

I am going through the same thing with my 78 El Camino rt now There is no wiring in my car power locks, I had to scavenge all the connectors from a donor car, The only thing I haven't been able to find is the connector for the door lock relay, that goes in the rt door pillar post .I have had to make all my harness myself, the small connectors for the door switches are almost impossible to get unless you find a unmolested donor. The hardest part is pulling five wires through the rubber wire harness covers in the door jamb. I found killer wiring schematics maliburacing.com

I got mine working today, and installed a aftermarket key-less entry system.. See my post under 78 El Camino.
The reverse polarity schematic worked with my original parts ,and my aftermarket RKE>

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
clean8485 said:
Thanks all for your help. I've been doing some checking with some resources that I have here. I have an '86 Grand Prix with the factory power locks in it, and I've checked it out, comparing it to the Monte. I also have the 1984 GM electrical manual for the Monte, and the '82 & newer GM G body parts manual. According to the parts book, there is a single part number for a cross car wiring harness for both the power windows & locks, which is separate from the main cross car electrical harness. There is a relay behind the kick panel on the passenger's side which is for the power locks, with 2 connectors going into it. There is also a separate flat 6 wire electrical connector behind the kick panel, which leads into the door for the power locks. The power windows have a 3 wire electrical connector that goes into the door. I've checked behind the right side of the dash on the Monte, and there is no evidence of the 6 wire connector, or the connectors that go into the relay, which leads me to believe that I'm going to need some kind of cross car harness to make this work. If anyone has any other info, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.

There is a separate harness you need to install. I am not sure how it is connected to the fuse block or any of the other components in the door lock system. I am assuming you just need one harness and that will be all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor