Power Mirror Upgrade

84cutlasssupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2019
Cool!

Is there an option for this on olds, Buick or Pontiac with the other sport style mirrors?
I had a thought about this for my '84 Cutlass. A friend of mine suggested late 70s or early 80s Corvette mirrors. Similar housing & a single switch on the driver's door. Never pursued it though.

pagrunt

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had a thought about this for my '84 Cutlass. A friend of mine suggested late 70s or early 80s Corvette mirrors. Similar housing & a single switch on the driver's door. Never pursued it though.
The C3 mirrors are the best ones to convert the sport mirrors to power. Just swap the mount base from yours to the C3 heads. I want to do the same but no luck finding a pair or finding a pair with out the Vette tax added.

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I've been reading the posts in this thread for a couple weeks, but have been too lazy to post. It's my understanding that the 86-87 Monte/Elco, Fiero, and 3rd Gen Fbody mirror housings are the same. When I put my set together a couple years back, I used 86 Elco mirrors... Fbody motors, and the Caprice controller that mounts into the Gbody bezel. I then bought new glass off Ebay to complete them. All this is good info, but in all honesty, this is old info from the MonteCarloSS forum. The reason most people don't do this conversion, is that the "aero style" mirrors need to be mounted further forward on the door to somewhat match the angle of the A pillar.Most people get turned off with this conversion, because to do it right, it involves drilling new holes, welding up the old ones, body work and paint. If you mount the aero mirrors in the stock location of most GBody cars, they look out of place. BUT if you have an 86-87 Monte or Elco, then this upgrade makes more sense. Just my opinion...

Rktpwrd

Rktpwrd

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I did a junkyard crawl on the weekend and was looking at aero mirrors with renewed interest after reading this thread. I came across 2 sets of F body mirrors with the power motors in them, and 2 or 3 Fiero ones. NONE of them had the switches or controls for them, and Caprices with aero mirrors are like looking for hens teeth here, never mind Corvette.

If I were to go to all the trouble of pulling the mirrors and as much wiring as possible, what are my options on hooking up any sort of controls? Anybody have access to any controls they’d be willing to sell me if I go back and grab them??

Reactions: fleming442

5spdCab

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I did a junkyard crawl on the weekend and was looking at aero mirrors with renewed interest after reading this thread. I came across 2 sets of F body mirrors with the power motors in them, and 2 or 3 Fiero ones. NONE of them had the switches or controls for them, and Caprices with aero mirrors are like looking for hens teeth here, never mind Corvette.

If I were to go to all the trouble of pulling the mirrors and as much wiring as possible, what are my options on hooking up any sort of controls? Anybody have access to any controls they’d be willing to sell me if I go back and grab them??
I have not finished checking schematics for the power mirrors yet, but as I was looking for parts for my wife's Taurus, I picked up the power window, door lock, and mirror controls. I will compare the two sets of schematics to see if the switches can be customized to work. My personal objective is to mount the Taurus switches in a custom console if I am able to get them to work properly.

88AZSS

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ

I have some extra controls that will work with this, I will take some pictures and PM you in a while.

Reactions: Rktpwrd

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor