Power Mirror Wiring

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys
It’s not often that I get stumped and have to ask for help, but this particular one has me baffled.

I’ve installed 3rd Gen F body mirror motors in a set of Monte SS housings, and am using the matching F body mirror switch to control them.

The issue is, there are 4 wires going to each mirror for a total of 8, but there are only 6 wires out of the switch to control them. There’s actually 8, but 2 of them are power and ground, the orange and black.

I’ve made up a temporary harness to test the mirrors, the orange and black run directly to the battery. Which leaves 2 green, 2 white, one blue and one yellow to control both sides. It doesn’t seem to matter what combination of wires on each side I splice together (I figure at least 2 HAVE to be spliced per side) I can’t get the functions to operate correctly.

Have a look at the screen grabs I got from a YouTube video below that explains each wire colors function, and explain to me how it should be wired. Because I’m stymied here. I think part of the problem is because each wire is either powered or grounded depending on which direction is selected.

Thanks!

IMG_4325.png

IMG_4326.png

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Upper case letters are switch terminals, lower case are motor terminals.

A - Ground
B - Light Blue to both mirrors b terminal.
C - Yellow to both mirrors d terminal.
D - White wire to terminal a Left mirror only.
E - Light green to terminal c left mirror only.
F - Brown/ White to terminal c right mirror only.
G - Red /White to terminal a Right mirror only.
H - +12V

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
F - Brown White to terminal c right mirror only.
G - Red White to a terminal Right mirror only.

Splice a brown and a white together?

There are no red wires…

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
That's brown with white stripe wire no splicing.

Data is from 1988 camaro colors might be different for different years, can you read the terminal letters on the switch?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's brown with white stripe wire no splicing.

Data is from 1988 camaro colors might be different for different years, can you read the terminal letters on the switch?

Thanks for the clarification.
The switch plug is original GM, so it most likely will have them, but I will have to confirm a bit later. Each mirror plug has terminal letters on them that are legible for sure.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Based on your pinouts I’m *assuming* the C4 Vette mirrors are wired the same as the Camaros, on mine, I have both the white wires spliced together on the driver’s side harness. I’m unable to get to the passenger at the moment though.

But from my old notes, the wiring should be the same, even the colors match.
My old notes are in pagrunt’s thread:

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Upper case letters are switch terminals, lower case are motor terminals.

A - Ground
B - Light Blue to both mirrors b terminal.
C - Yellow to both mirrors d terminal.
D - White wire to terminal a Left mirror only.
E - Light green to terminal c left mirror only.
F - Brown/ White to terminal c right mirror only.
G - Red /White to terminal a Right mirror only.
H - +12V

Based on your pinouts I’m *assuming* the C4 Vette mirrors are wired the same as the Camaros, on mine, I have both the white wires spliced together on the driver’s side harness. I’m unable to get to the passenger at the moment though.

But from my old notes, the wiring should be the same, even the colors match.
My old notes are in pagrunt’s thread:

Unfortunately neither of these combinations are correct. I tried both tonight. After extensive testing of all the circuits and their functions, this is what I’ve determined:

image.jpg

The closest I can get it to being correct is how I currently have it wired:

Orange (terminal A on switch) to +12V

Black (terminal B on switch) to ground

Both yellows (terminal C on switch, and terminals D on the mirrors) spliced together.

Both blues (terminal D on switch, and terminals A on the mirrors) spliced together.

Green (terminal E on switch) to terminal C on left mirror

White (terminal F on switch) to terminal B on left mirror

Green (terminal G on switch) to terminal C on right mirror

White (terminal H on switch) to terminal B on right mirror

This results in the left and right sides actuating the proper sides, but the functions are 90 degrees off on the switch. If I put the selector to the left mirror,I have to physically turn the switch 90 degrees to the right to get the functions to move in the correct directions.

The opposite occurs with the right mirror, I have to turn the switch 90 degrees to the left to get the functions to move in the proper directions. If I attempt to wire the switch and mirrors color to color, it’s way out of whack. That’s how I tried configuring it initially. The up function for the right mirror would result in a left movement on the right mirror and all sorts of other weird reactions.

Help, how do I fix this!?!? I’m closer than I was last night, but it’s obviously still not right.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Try switching D for A at the motor connectors.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Hopefully will be feeling your pain soon, so following to see how all this works out

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor