Power steering pump and line question. Need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
I have a 79' and I wanted to upgrade the steering system. I got a reman 87mc ss box, reman stocker pump, and everything else moog stock 79'. Now my lines don't match up. Do I have to get the mc ss lines? And the pump seems to be wrong too. My stock pump has a stud on the back to aid in tensioning and the reman doesn't. Also the reman has a smooth pulley shaft with threads inside an the stocker seems to have the pulley bolted on via outer threads on the pump shaft. What do I do here. It's the only car I have and I need to get it straightened out!! Help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 480
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 453
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 439

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Regarding hose fitting mismatch - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54008

In the picture of the pump, the nose of the pulley looks like it has the groove where the puller should fit. It has a flat, which is different than I have seen. perhaps it is from an earlier GM car? Pull it off ans see if it will press onto your new pump. Should be a tight interference fit, only installable using a pulley installation tool.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
I'm reading all this stuff, and I keep seeing "kits"... They all seem to have a rag joint that is the "correct" one to go from the 78-80 column to the 800 series box. I mounted the box already and mounted to shaft to it. Didn't seem to have any issues. Should I be worried? Didn't seem to be an issue going on or turning while it was in the air. I contacting that Lee Enterprises place tomorrow morning, and if that doesn't work, I'm buying a mc ss pressure and return line and a pulley from rockauto. I need to have this thing running by Friday. Anyone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor