Power Tour & Drag Week back on for '21

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Big problem with picturesque places is where do you find hotel accomodations and parking for 5000 cars and 8000 people along with a venue where you can do some drag racing, autocross or some other go events?

I went to one stop of power tour at the Iowa Speedway outside of Des Moines a few years back and honestly it wasn't that fun but it was 100% because of the location. It was in the gravel parking lot and it was like 92 degrees that day with nasty wind and no shade, benches, and squat for water or food vendors.

I was happy that it was going to be at the wisconsin fairgrounds in Madison in 20 since it's a nice venue. I'm much less excited about the stadium at Univ of Il.

Power tour was in KY, GA area a few years back. I agree that would be cool.

I agree drag week should move back west like Kansas City, oklahoma, texas area but I think Rocky Mountain Race Week displaced drag week into east and northern midwest.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Big problem with picturesque places is where do you find hotel accomodations and parking for 5000 cars and 8000 people along with a venue where you can do some drag racing, autocross or some other go events?

I went to one stop of power tour at the Iowa Speedway outside of Des Moines a few years back and honestly it wasn't that fun but it was 100% because of the location. It was in the gravel parking lot and it was like 92 degrees that day with nasty wind and no shade, benches, and squat for water or food vendors.

I was happy that it was going to be at the wisconsin fairgrounds in Madison in 20 since it's a nice venue. I'm much less excited about the stadium at Univ of Il.

Power tour was in KY, GA area a few years back. I agree that would be cool.

I agree drag week should move back west like Kansas City, oklahoma, texas area but I think Rocky Mountain Race Week displaced drag week into east and northern midwest.
I'm not so sure. You can totally have picturesque and have hotels and large venues available. Lake George NY and nearby glens falls have plenty of lodging. Shoot over to Burlington after skirting lake Champlain through winding roads. Then shoot over into New Hampshire and pay a visit to new England Dragway. Lots of accommodations all of those places on a northern run off the top of my head. You could even tack on a finish at Thompson motor speedway in ct for a bit of history at the end.

Plenty of options available and that was just one pulled out with 30 seconds thought. Meanwhile, you get to roll through nice scenery, up and down hills, around corners, not just driving through crop fields on flat land for hours.

Picturesque doesn't have to mean you can't wind up somewhere in a bigger city of tens of thousands at night. Plenty of lower population areas have HUGE offseason accommodations normally used by winter sports and leaf peepers.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am hoping for a 2022 return to Drag Week.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
As long as everything goes okay with my cam/intake swap, the wife and I are heading out for Power Tour Friday August 20th. Making a couple of stops on the way from the southwest corner of Indiana to the northeast corner- the town where her Dad grew up (Hartford City, IN), and the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum- then the semi-Long Haul. It's only five days this year vs. the normal seven. Hope to see a few of you guys out there.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am registered for power tour. Probably not going to make the entire 5 days but 2 for sure.

Reactions: 3 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ill be in power tour this year, getting my Monte Carlo ready now. Was really hoping to have one of the Gbodys ready by then but not gonna happen. Be on the lookout for my black Intimidator. I signed up for the long haul

Reactions: 4 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I'll be in Norwalk for the kick-off to Power Tour but that's it. I can't take the time away for the whole week. Oh and I'll be in my Cougar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Hate to piss on the parade, but you think it'll still be a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor