Power windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I see potential for the wires either being in the wrong prongs OR there being a short in the switch from the wire ends being in contact with the rest of the metal in the switch. The plastic makes it so the wire ends only contact the connections theyre supposed to.

Edit: 69hurstolds beat me to it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Leave all the wiring on the driver side master switch alone for now. Just work on the passenger switch.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Are both those pictures of the master switch? It looks like it. You probably don't need to mess with that first.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm not an electrician. I'm running away now. Literally. I have an appointment I have to be at. :)

I hope your wires on the pins are right. With an ohmmeter, you can figure them out, but I don't recall from memory.

QuintLee92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2020
Odd it has a ground wire on passenger switch, but...maybe 86's did? I dunno. Did you put the blue/white wire on the blue wire like that?

Without the plastic separator, you run the risk of touching metal or other wires where you don't want to.

BUT....if you take the blue/white and put it back (you were bypassing the passenger side switch for the UP position), you could jumper the tan wire to the brown wire on the passengers side switch, then using the master switch on the driver door panel, try to lower the passenger window. If that works, then it's likely your passenger side switch is the issue.
All the wires lights up when I touch them with the test light on the pass side switch .I touched all the wires off the switch all light up on the tester EXCEPT THE (tan) wire

QuintLee92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2020
I'm not an electrician. I'm running away now. Literally. I have an appointment I have to be at. :)

I hope your wires on the pins are right. With an ohmmeter, you can figure them out, but I don't recall from memory.
All the wires lights up when I touch them with the test light on the pass side switch .I touched all the wires off the switch all light up on the tester EXCEPT THE (tan) wire
The pass side on the driver side switch all lights up also but not the ran wire on the pass door coming from the Frame it must be that wire

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sort of on topic, where can you get the terminals for the wires....or what are they called....thanks

image-jpg.135986

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Found this online, but I cannot and WILL NOT guarantee accuracy. use at your own risk. Obviously the colors aren't exact matchup. The two yellow motor wires shown in this drawing are obviously going to be the dark blue and brown wires. Which is which, I don't know.

attachment-jpg.4123167

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Ive had both drivers side then passenger side fail.

Electrical smoke, melted...

Just replaced with a couple I got from the local parts joint.. Dorman's

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor